Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did a lot of research on agencies, and finally settled on one. We sent in our application 2 weeks ago, and have recieved nothing from them. I have talked to our "guy" on the phone and he is friendly. I had a very specific question before we signed on with them, and he contacted the CCAA in China and got back to me the next day. I thought that was an above and beyond maneuver, and it sealed our deal with them.

So, when I called a week after applying he said they hadn't sent anything to us because their contracts were being updated and were in the hands of their lawyers. He said if they didn't have it in a couple days he'd send us the rest of the info. Another week has gone by and we still have nothing. I called to ask if we should get the fast birth certificates or slow ones through L.A. County, and he wasn't sure due to something about the consulate there, and never got back to me.

I left him a message this morning, to no return. They are a midsized agency. We just got done getting burned by a contractor that never communicated even though he always promised to keep us up to date. Do all agencies do this? How long does it take to get things from them? We are willing to give up our $250 app. fee to go to a different agency, but don't want to be getting worked up over nothing. I just feel like we are wasting time, and are only getting things done because we've been reading a lot of books and looking on the internet about what we need.

Ds wants me to add a smiley:
:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Aaah.... agencies. They can be so unpredictable. I sympathize. My agancy seems to be getting better and better the farther I am into the process. At first, I really started to question the fact that I signed on with them, but DH wouldn't let us switch (he's kind of a chicken). Now that I'm at the very tail end of the process, I look back, and although it didn't seem like it at the time, my adopting is moving right along at a pace I can't complain about.

I guess that wasn't very helpful information, eh? :LOL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I found that I had to initiate a lot at our agency, but then they were always efficient and professional when I initiated things. I think that the agency will never be as quick as you want them to be. You are thinking about your child every day and getting impatient. They are thinking about a number of families every day, and the ones that are currently being placed are the priority.

If you really like everything else about the agency, I would cut them some slack.

L.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
owensmom - would you be willing to PM with the name of your agency? I've been doing a lot of research on China agencies lately, and I may have insight (or not!) depending an the agency.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I tend to agree with Leatherette. Also, I assume you talked to people who have recently completed a China adoption with this agency? I would give them a call and see if this is something routine for them. You might also ask to speak to the program director and see what kind of response you should be expecting.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
We were overall really happy with our agency, but we usually had to be the ones to initiate stuff - they were working with lots of families of course, just as Leatherette mentioned. That said, they never seemed to mind when we called. That would be a red flag for me - not that you have to call, but if they seem cranky or P.O.'d when you do. Also, our agency was good at laying out the various steps and providing a clear road map for the paperwork part of the process. That meant that we didn't need to call them frequently with questions.

Good luck - those of us who have been there know how difficult and frustrating the process is.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
They day our agency received our application and check they Fed Ex'ed us all of our registration documents. There was always someone to talk to if we had questions, our consultant worked at night but the agency was open 24/7 to answer questions. We have found that they are very good at calling once a week to see where we are, do we have any questions, did you get such and such sent off. To us this is very important, yes I realize they have many families going through the same thing but we are paying them also for this service. Depending on how big a priority communication is you may want to reconsider. If you are confident in filling out the forms and doing the process mostly by yourself then you may want to stay.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone, I sent an email to the guy in our agency when he didn't call back (was in a state meeting all day) and he gave me a bunch of info. We still feel a little lost but have a better feeling over all with the agency. Dh gets frustrated with things like the I-600A, do we send it now before the homestudy or not? Our guy didn't feel we needed to send it but "everything" dh has read said to send it in right away. I think I wish they had brought us in for a meeting and laid it all out for us, what to do first, what not to do, etc etc, but they didn't and we are figuring it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by owensmom
Thank you everyone, I sent an email to the guy in our agency when he didn't call back (was in a state meeting all day) and he gave me a bunch of info. We still feel a little lost but have a better feeling over all with the agency. Dh gets frustrated with things like the I-600A, do we send it now before the homestudy or not? Our guy didn't feel we needed to send it but "everything" dh has read said to send it in right away. I think I wish they had brought us in for a meeting and laid it all out for us, what to do first, what not to do, etc etc, but they didn't and we are figuring it out.
I would wait to send in the I-600A until after your home study is complete as
your home study report is needed in order to get your I-600A approval. If you send in the application now they will just file it away or possibly lose it.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cici
I would wait to send in the I-600A until after your home study is complete as
your home study report is needed in order to get your I-600A approval. If you send in the application now they will just file it away or possibly lose it.
I don't know if you got an answer from your agency on this issue, but it depends on where you live whether this is a good idea or not, usually based on how long it takes to get an appointment to get fingerprinted. At some CIS offices, they simply have times open office hours for fingerprinting, once you send in your I-600A, you can come in at any time to get fingerprinted. At other CIS offices, you are assigned a specific day/time to be fingerprinted, and it may be 6-8 weeks from the time you file your I-600A. And it varies from place to place.

In our case, we filed our I-600A several weeks before the homestudy was submitted, and we received our I-171H (approval of the I-600A) less than a month later. But, from what I hear, our local office is a little faster than some of the other offices...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annethcz
I don't know if you got an answer from your agency on this issue, but it depends on where you live whether this is a good idea or not, usually based on how long it takes to get an appointment to get fingerprinted. At some CIS offices, they simply have times open office hours for fingerprinting, once you send in your I-600A, you can come in at any time to get fingerprinted. At other CIS offices, you are assigned a specific day/time to be fingerprinted, and it may be 6-8 weeks from the time you file your I-600A. And it varies from place to place.

In our case, we filed our I-600A several weeks before the homestudy was submitted, and we received our I-171H (approval of the I-600A) less than a month later. But, from what I hear, our local office is a little faster than some of the other offices...
You are right every state is different. We were able to go in person to take our I-600-A and home study report and were fingerprinted at the same time. No appointment necessary. However, this has since changed in our state and now appointments are required but we have been told that they do not accept the application without the home study report.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts