Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can offer some advice here ... my high-needs 8 mo old will be starting at a daycare center just after she turns one year.

I always nurse her to sleep (although both Grandma & DH can rock her to sleep). She takes a *long* time to settle & sleeps very lightly.

We hold her for all her naps (or co-nap together in bed) because she ALWAYS wakes when put down! (plus we enjoy cuddling her)

The daycare workers will always rock her to sleep, but they'll be putting her down once asleep.

I've got to get her used to napping in a crib & not waking when put down, so her transition will be easier....we're using NCSS, anyone have any other ideas for us??

TIA!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:

oops! i posted too soon.

Just wanted to add her sleeping/napping routine isn't a problem for us, but I can't expect the daycare to duplicate it completely!! They have other kids to look after too

Pica :girl:

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
so she'll go down for dh or grandma ok?

if so, I'd say just keep trying to let dh and or grandma get a turn at putting her down. they (dcp and dd) will figure it out soon enough.

Ideas to help:
white noise (often dcp will have fan/music/whatever for napping babies)
lovey
blankie. my dd slept on the same blanket for a long time (not under, but on top of it). then I took it to dc and they put her down on the same fleece blanket. I washed it for them and returned it.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
also adding: 4 months is a long time in baby time. she'll likely change her sleep habits several times between then and now. and then change again after she begins.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
ds never would sleep for my mother past 6 months or so fo age(that was his day care - and up until 6 months, she had to hold him for naps too - then he just decided he'd rather wait for me). after about a year, dh couldn't get himto sleep w/out a car ride. we just managed - he'd be a little cranky, but take a late nap when i got home (around 2:30 pm) and then go to bed with me around 10.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, she won't go down for Grandma, or DH, but she'll sleep in their arms okay.

I should have explained, I meant they can rock her to sleep fine, that she will fall asleep without nursing, but so far *no one* can put her down. (except at night ... she sleeps her first 'shift' in her crib & the rest co-sleeping, but it takes a LOT of soothing once she's in the crib & during daytime naps, she's just not sleepy enough - wakes right up)

I KNOW I should keep trying, but I really really really love holding her
-- I know she'll be grown be grown before I know it, plus I'm a chicken...... she always seems to wake up!

Thanks for the advice!

Pica :girl:

·
Registered
398 Posts
We are going through napping stike right now. My ds is 6 months. His nap routine changes a lot (his idea, not ours) so I think it's hard to say what will help in a couple of months. He will be going to a caregivers in about a month so I am intested to see what advice you get.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi!

I am in a similar (though not so extreme) situation. My ds is 9 months old and will be going to a daycare center on Sept. 23, after he's turned one. He also nurses down for naps (tho' he will actually go down in his crib after he's asleep).

During the week, I am reluctant to change his naptime routine, esp. since I want him to get the extra nutrition and mama snuggle as long as possible. On the weekend, however, I've been having my dh rock him to sleep for one nap a day (he usually takes two). Anytime my mom is in town, I have her rock him to sleep for a nap or two.

In August, I am planning to have dh rock him to sleep for both naps on the weekends. Frankly, I don't have much hope that he will agree to rocking to sleep with me--he'll just want to nurse.

You may want to speak to your daycare provider about this. Most of the moms at my center are bf (at least in the young toddler room) and so the providers are very used to this issue. She told me that usually they give EBM to the kids right before naptime, they have a lovey that "smells' like mama, and they get rocked and sung to sleep. She said very honestly that most kids have a tough 2-3 day transitional period, but they are fine.

One thing we are planning to do during his first week of daycare is to have dh go in and rock him to sleep himself at naptime, and then put him down in the crib. This way he gets used to sleeping in a strange place first, and then gets used to a new caregiver. I would go myself but I'm teaching a class during his naptime...

It'll be interesting to post experiences in September...

Priya :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.