Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been laid up due to problems with my SI joint. DH has been graciously taking up the slack around the house, but I think he's starting to feel like he's drowning under the weight of the household duties. He just doesn't have enough time to do it all and we can't pay for help. Any ideas on how I can help out more while not aggravating my hip joint too much?
Right now I am doing all the laundry and the grocery shopping. I can stand for about 20 minutes then I must recline for about 40 minutes. I was thinking to set an alarm and work for 20 then set it again and my sitting.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I was going to suggest an on/off type of thing. It's great if you don't feel like doing anything. I did a lot of 30 min work/ 10 min "fun" when I was in high school, and was thinking about implementing it again lately seeing as I can't seem to get anything done, either.

Maybe having your DH carry the laundry for you? I'm clumsy as it is, and I hate stairs, so I ask my hubby to carry the laundry up/downstairs and put it on the bed or something so I can fold and put it away. It really comes in handy (when he actually gets it done when I want him to, but he's usually very good about it.)

If you're not doing it already, washing dishes right after you use them saves time and water. No dried on foods and you've only got a little bit at a time to worry about. If I let my dishes sit for more than a couple meals worth I do not want to do them.

Hope this helps, if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yep, do things in short bursts. Set a timer for 15 minutes and focus on one area, you'd be shocked by how much you can get done in that time. Sometimes the hardest thing for me is actually getting up to *do* it.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I really like the Motivated Moms program (though your dh may want to call it something else! LOL) and there is a free week or so posted on their website that you could "try out" to see if it would work for you/your partner.

What I like the most about the system is that it really forces you to take "small bites" that are very easy to accomplish. I've tried FlyLady several times in the past and always get frustrated... even though she says over and over again to start small and be consistant, the whole FlyLady routine is just never ending and I feel discouraged when I don't do "the whole thing" (and in the case of FlyLady "the whole thing" would have me working 24/7 and still not getting everything done! lol).

Anyway, the Motivated Moms program provides a daily chore list with the goal of keeping the house clean/organized/running smoothly without spending much time/effort on it. Like, the chores for one day might include cleaning the top shelf of the fridge. Not the whole fridge, JUST that one shelf. Once the shelf is clean you check it off the list and you're done! Then a few days later maybe the list will include the fridge door, or the crisper, or the middle shelf. It means that by the end of a month the whole fridge is clean but you've never spent more than a few minutes at a time on it. Each day is dividied into a routine chore checklist (feed the pets, empty the sink, take your vitamins, do the laundry) and a "chores of the day" checklist with 4-8 items listed (the fridge shelf, wiping the windows in the guest room, vacuuming the living room, calling in perscription refills, trimming the children's finger nails, emptying out the trash in the family car, wiping down the stove, restocking the TP). For me it works really well because it sort of enforces small, focused, activity and provides feedback from the "check off" items. The daily routine portion usually takes me a out 30 minutes a day and the "chore of the day" portion usually takes another 15-30 minutes depending on the day. Since it's cyclical, the idea is that if you don't do something one day you just wait for it to come round again so there's no sense of trying to catch up and no worry that you'll fall behind.

During my babymoons DH does most of the household tasks and he and I have very different ideas about what "makes a tidy house" and DH's ADD means he is easily side tracked into time consuming but not very productive "big picture" tasks (like putting away dishes and getting sidetracked into organizing the silverware drawer... he feels like he has worked all day on cleaning, but from a "look at the kitchen" perspective nothing has changed). Printing out a week or two of MM pages and taping them to the wall has been a wonderful tool... dh has a short, focused list and anyone who stops by and asks how they can help can just pick a 5 minute chore off the day's list and have at!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I second the Motivated Moms planner. We keep the week's plan posted on the fridge, and it really helps us both to have a focus; breaking regular housekeeping into manageable tasks and including some important and less thought of (for us) chores, such as cleaning out celing light fixtures or wiping walls.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
See, I get those same things out of the flylady. Little things like, today your goal is to dust off picture frames in the living room. Or move the stuff to one side of your kitchen counter and wipe it off and then put it back, etc. They aren't big tasks at all and rarely take more than a couple of minutes. :) It just focuses on one room of the house per week with little tasks. I also like her kid challenges. They are really easy like, go to your room and find 5 things that are out of place and put them away. Really easy stuff!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I know a lot of people who find FlyLady to be the perfect fit, but it just overwhelms me because while it's presented in small chunks, it's also designed for the person who wants (or is able) to do more. And my personality is such that if there is a daily morning/evening routine AND a weekly zone AND a daily hot spot option AND a daily swish/swipe AND a daily challenge AND a weekly zone AND a mission... I feel like I've "failed" if I don't do it all, and that leads to my not even starting because I know I wont finish (and if I'm going to spend the time figuring out which of the various things are the "most important" for me to do, then I might as well just do it myself without spending the time on the binder/website)! Motivated Moms works better for me since it is MUCH more focused and without the sort of organizational scaffolding that is such a big part of FlyLady. No multiple lists, detailed order charts, week long or seasonal projects. Like today, my to-do-today list was:

Clean refrigerator drawers

Inventory refrigerator contents and plan meals around leftovers

Vacuum main/public rooms or 1st floor

Clean toilets

Replenish stock of toilet paper in bathrooms

And that's it. (and since I plan meals on Sat for our family shopping trip on Sun, and I vacuum our main room every day after lunch anyway, I checked off items two and three in under 30 seconds lol)

That said, FlyLady does have a lot of online support and "you can do it" stuff which can be nice and a lot of detailed cleaning/decluttering advice which can be great too. So it can be encouraging and supportive and sometimes having that level of detail in a routine can help. It just doesn't help me. LOL Even though I often wish it did work for me, cause so many people love it!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ah see, I don't get that into it. I do the one daily email that tells you what the days flight plan is and that's it. Other than occasionally having the kids do the kids challenge. The hot spot and swish and swipe are part of the flight plan and each only take about 2 minutes, so those don't bother me. I don't do a journal or binder or missions or anything like that though.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
There was another group similar to this motivated moms site s friend was telling me about once too. Something Hannah? But it was a pay site also, which was another reason I've stuck to Flylady. Cause I'm cheap and it's free.
redface.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.