Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is presently up to date on his vaccinations... well at least he was a year ago, I dont know about now. Anyways I've halted all vax's on ALL my kids since his diagnosis (dr suggested it). I now have to go back to work and I have 3 kids that are pretty much non-vax'd well I called the office to get a note from the dr stating "medical reasons" the dr's nurse called back stating that he NEVER recorded that my son had a reaction to the vaccination and so there was NO medical reason to halt vax's and so he wouldnt write me the note. Im NOT going to vax my kids just so that they can go to daycare when the vax's themselves are dangerous.
I need help, desperately.

· Registered
677 Posts
I've never had a problem (in WA state) with either daycare/preschool or public school. We just sign the philosophical exemption and no one has questioned it (unless they didnt flip the form over to see my signature lol). Where are you?

Also, I'd try to talk to the doc directly -- maybe the nurse is interfering in a way she shouldn't, or if you have a good discussion with the doc on why s/he will relent?

Good luck!

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Oregon, we dont have the "philosophical" exemption, only medical and religious.

· Registered
5,916 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post
Even with an exemption most daycares do not have to accept it. Most daycares require vaccinations.
This is not true. Medical, religious, and philosophical exemptions have to be accepted at public schools/daycares if your state allows for them (and most states do). Private schools/daycares can be a different story though.

I recommend you post this in the vaccine forum and the tribal area for info on how to get an exemption and recommendations for a good daycare near you.

Also visit www.vaclib.com for information on your state's laws.

· Registered
5,916 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aria_dia View Post
I live in Oregon, we dont have the "philosophical" exemption, only medical and religious.
Oh, Oregon. Okay...so it looks like religious exemption is the way to go! vaclib has information on how to write a statement to get a religious exemption, or again post in the vaccine forum and they'll help you! Remember that the Supreme Court has ruled that they can not ask you which religion you belong to, and that you do not have to be a member of a recognized religion either.

· Registered
3,219 Posts
I believe that any daycare that receives money from the gov (and if they participate in the USDA food program, then they do) has to accept vaccine exemption forms. If it is a new daycare just file your rel. exemption and be done. Don't even show them the kids partial vaccination log. Trust me it'll end up biting you in the butt if you do.

· Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Getting a medical exemption is really difficult--typically just for the vaccine or vaccines that have already shown reactions, oftentimes they need to be re-certified by the doc yearly or every other year... it's really difficult. It's also often difficult for doctors--they can be scrutinized for writing too many medical exemptions. So your doc could be very sincere in saying you should stop, while also not being in a position to write a medical exemption for your kids.

If you've got the option of religious exemption, I'd use that. You can change your religious beliefs over time (you now believe it is wrong, you didn't before), you don't need to belong to a particular religious group that publicly disapproves of vaccination, and you can just not mention the vaccines that have been administered (realizing that the kids may be excluded if there's an outbreak). IME daycares just want to be in compliance with state regs, so if they've got an exemption on file, they're happy.

Good luck!

· Registered
1,284 Posts
I agree with the others. I would file a religious exemption if your doc isn't going to cooperate with a medical one.
Are you planning to take them to a pub;ic or private daycare? :Remember a lot of daycares and schools will tell you that you have to vaccinate even if that isn't the case. So just know your rights and inform them.

· Registered
2,665 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
This is not true. Medical, religious, and philosophical exemptions have to be accepted at public schools/daycares if your state allows for them (and most states do). Private schools/daycares can be a different story though.

I recommend you post this in the vaccine forum and the tribal area for info on how to get an exemption and recommendations for a good daycare near you.

Also visit www.vaclib.com for information on your state's laws.

They do not have to be accepted at a home daycare. Sorry I didn't specify home vs. public, gov't funded, Headstart type daycare.

In our town there are primarily all in home daycares and they do not have to accept an exemption.

So whether it's true or not depends on what type of daycare you're looking into.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.