Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is almost 4 months old. From 1.5-3 months she was sleeping one big stretch from about 9 pm-3/4/5/6 am, and then waking every 1.5/2 hours after that until we got up for the day anywhere between 8-10 am.

For the past month she has been going to bed between 8-9:30 pm and waking like clockwork every 2 hours all night long. So if she goes to bed at 8 pm, she is up at 10, 12, 2, 4, and 6 am. At around 6 every morning she goes from waking every 2 hours to every 20 mins or so until we get up for the day. The latest I can get her to sleep now is 8 am, but today it is 6:30 am and she woke us up with a big poop.

She only wakes to nurse and goes right back to sleep, but I can't sleep through her nursing, she kicks, punches and grunts loudly the whole time. By the time she is done, I am wide awake, and it takes me a while to fall back asleep.

I am soooo tired, I am not asking for a lot, just maybe 4 hours of sleep in a row. I try to nap when she does, but her naps are only 45 mins- 1 hour long and it takes me a good half hour to fall asleep, plus I am going insane from never having any "me" time all day long. I know this won't last forever, but how long am I looking at here? How can I get her to sleep more?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Its hard to say how long this phase will last. Have you tried napping while nursing her during the day? If she kicks etc. during the nap then you can nurse her to sleep and then sleep next to her. My ds (almost 12 months)takes longer naps just knowing that I am only an arms reach away. Also, there are still nights where he is awake very often to nurse. After a while I just got used to his squirming and now I think that sometimes I am out as fast as he is after the start of each feeding. One last piece of advice is, do you have someone that can watch your babe even for 5 minutes each day? When dh gets home from work I can usually count on him to watch ds so that I can have some me time. The fact that I don't have to constantly think about what ds is getting into really refreshes and rests my mind. Its wonderful.

Remember that this will pass...

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Hang in there mama...your little one sounds like my dd at that age! Every hour like clockwork she'd be half awake and looking to nurse. Growth spurts, developmental milestones, and the very beginning bit of teething (dd started teething around 4 months) can all affect a babe's sleep and that could be what's happening here.

DD gradually drifted into longer blocks of sleep with nursing to sleep around 9pm, then nursing at ~midnight and ~4am and at waking ~7am (though she still wakes every 2-3 hours to nurse during the night when teething or sick).

I'd suggest reading the No Cry Sleep Solution (your library probably has it) since Pantley offers some great ideas for young breastfed/co-sleeping babies that you can customize to fit your family. And I agree with pp...if there is someone who could watch the babe while you nap/sleep in/go to bed early it can make all the difference in the world. For a while dd was staying up till 10 or 11pm so I'd nurse her around 9pm and go to bed...dh would stay downstairs with dd and play till she was tired. Which meant I got the whole bed to sprawl on and sleep without baby feet kicking me in the tummy for a few hours. It really helped.

Good luck mama...before you know it your babe will be sleeping again!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
She's still SO young, it's often normal at that age. Not that it helps your state of mind right now, but in a month or two things will be different

-Angela

1 - 5 of 5 Posts