Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is really the right place to post this- but it seemed to make sense to me

My ds is 4 1/2. He has been potty trained since he was 3 but still has a very difficult time wiping himself. Most of the time he refused to try b/c it is "too hard". He also can not fully dress himself either. I buy only clothes that are easy to put on/remove and the removing part is not a problem. But I am usually dressing him completely most days unless he really feels like putting in the extra effort. He is capable of it- he just says that it's too hard and he does not want to try. At home it honestly does not bother me that much, but when he is at other people's houses (last night for example when my best friend was watching him w/ her daughter) he told her he didn't know how to put his pants back on after using the bathroom and when she told me I felt very embarassed for some reason. Like my son is behind developmentally b/c he can't dress himself (she did not make me feel that way necessarily- I think it's all me!).
I guess I'm just wondering if others have had a hard time with their child learning to dress themselves. He is very smart- but I don't want to "force" him to dress himself by using any kind of punishment or anything b/c I don't feel that that would be appropriate at all. Any thoughts or suggestions?

· Registered
155 Posts
My son can dress himself, but there are days he prefers help. I don't mind; it gives me just one more chance to connect with him. You say your son is capable, so maybe he just enjoys having that opportunity to connect with you. I do not think anyone will benefit if you "force" him to dress himself. Why add that stress to your day.

As for your friend, maybe she just found it unusual as her DD gets dressed alone. Please don't feel embarassed. Your son is fine and is lucky to have a mother that supports his choices.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.