Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vet gave us drop for our Labs ears - only the dog is not letting us admisiter them.

He jumped, backed off, and even snapped at DH (very unusual behaviour - but we were touching his ears,an area not normally touched, and it is very possible his ears are sensitive)

Any advice?

Kathy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your poor pup's ear must be real sensitive if he's snapping at you, sorry.
I have a german shepard that I've struggled to get ear drops into. The best and most efficient way I've found is to freeze peanut butter in a small glass bowl (pyrex). I have my husband/mom/sister hold the frozen pb near his face while I sidle up and gently lift the ear to give the drops. He is so distracted by the deliciousness that he doesn't care about the drops. Then lots of praise. This method also works for trimming nails. I don't know if I would do it if I thought he would bite me. Maybe muzzle him briefly, hold his snout between my knees and give the drops quickly? Hope your lab feels better soon!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ditto the above. My dog used to get ear infections and we'd have to give him drops while he was eating and distracted, otherwise he'd freak out and get snappy. By about the 3rd ear infection he stopped freaking out and actually let us put the drops in with no fight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.