Mothering Forum banner

Getting DS to take vitamin c?

356 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Gitti 
#1 ·
We only have vitamin C pills, the adult version. We can't afford any liquid or chewable ones right now.

DH is VERY sick, bronchitis and pneumonia. Ideally I'd prefer James NOT get sick. I've been taking 4 of the pills daily and hoping it gets in my breastmilk for Aldria.

How can I get James to take them? Can I crush them up and put them in his sippy and hope he doesn't notice the difference?

#3 ·
I wouldnt try either lol. And Im not sure about crushing them up in a sippy? not sure if they would still work? BUT Id be giving oranges and other high vit. c foods frequently. Also, next time you can afford to, Id buy some emergen-c lots of vit c and a ton of packets for like $8 and my kids love them lol. great stuff to keep on hand.

#4 ·
Crap...thanks mama's.

It'll be a week or two before we're able to afford anything besides the bare necesities (if we even can then) so I don't know if we can buy oranges or not. I'll have to see how much they are.

#5 ·
Produce is pretty expensive here right now but mandarins are in season and on sale for about a buck a pound, very low compared to most fruits at the grocery. Also vitamin C is found in veggies, which may be less expensive. Here's a link that lists some of the foods high in vit c.

http://health.learninginfo.org/vitaminc.htm

Also, is he still nursing or will he drink EB in a sippy? maybe in a smoothie or on oatmeal or something? Vitamin C comes thru your milk, so if he's getting some breastmilk, you can supplement with the tablets & he'll get it too.

#6 ·
Can you pump and put some bm for his oats?

Also if I had to cut back I would first cut out everything except fruit and vegetable. Cut out all dairy and I am sure you've cut out all junk foods already. But many people don't know that cutting out cereal and replacing that with plain oats cooked in water, some cinnamon and honey is really much cheaper.

Always put fruit and vegetables first on your shopping list.

But you didn't aks about that.

I would not give Vita C to the child in that form either. It won't dissolve anyway. I would however get the sodium ascorbate. It is very reasonable and they ship for free. ($ 5?)

If you want to know where I get mine, let me know.

Rose hips are high in Vita C. Do you have wild roses growing near you? There should be plenty of rose hips on the bush right now.

#7 ·
I use sodium ascorbate powder and put it in a smoothie. dd doesn't notice. you could mash it up to a powder. keep hands clean and be hypervigilant about germ swapping. keep your stress level down.
sorry you're in such a financial bind, here's to getting through this time healthfully.

#8 ·
I'd try crushing and mixing into pudding or applesauce or oatmeal something like that. If you mix with juice it might all settle to the bottom. Let him know that one spoonful is "medicine" and he has to swallow that spoonful, and then the rest will be "normal."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.