Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
salaam

my landlord decided i have too many children... i got a notice to cease the over-crowding (having two kids share a room and an infant in the room with me and my husband is over-crowding??). since i obviously can't cease having one of my kids, eviction is inevitable. i really don't mind, anyway... it's been a nightmare here.

anyway, i need a place to move. i found out that it's likely we are eligable for housing assistance, and that we are actually a low income family... so i'm calling those people tomorrow. 3 bedroom rentals are not cheap in NJ, and we have horrible credit (well, we paid off our credit cards, but we still have financial difficulties).

what can i do? where can i go? is it possible that i can find a rental that wont check our credit? where do i look? moving in with my family is not an option.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I don't have any specific suggestions of places to look, but I just wanted to mention that the overcrowding ordinances must vary from town to town. We just got our house inspected for a certificate of occupancy in order to sell it, and our township sent us a packet that included the rules for inspection of a rental. It said that our town ordinances limit two adults per bedroom (so four adults could legally live in a two-bedroom apartment). It specifically said that children under 18 don't count. On the other hand, my sil used to live in a one-bedroom in Asbury Park, and they had to move before her ds turned three, I think, because that was when he would count as an occupant for purposes of overcrowding. So, you might want to call the township offices of places near you and ask what their ordinances say. You might be able to find a town that would have no problem with your family in a two-bedroom. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.