Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this site. My name is Caren and I am 29 years old.

My hubby and I have been trying to concieve since December of 06. After quiting the pill for several years I have discovered that I am not having periods any more. I stopped the pill in December and had a period Jan and Feb than have not had one since then. I went to the Doctors and the gyn gave me prover to help regulate me which gave me a period and I just had it May 25-th for about a week. I have been peeing on the ovulation strips every day and I am not seeing anything. I tried to figure out my ovulation dates from a chart but it is hard since I have no idea my cycle time and such with so many skipped periods.

I really thought this would come easy but after 6 months now of trying and nothing I am starting ot get frustrated.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Welcome!

I'm no expert, but have you tried charting yet? If not, I highly recommend that you get yourself a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility, a basal body thermometer, and a membership at FertilityFriend.com. That way you'll be able to figure out whether (and when) you're ovulating, how your cycles look, and have a better sense of what you're dealing with. Personally, I would stop the meds your doc prescribed and just try charting for a few cycles. It can take quite a while for things to settle down after coming off the Pill--even up to a year, I think.

HTH.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO I have not heard of charting....I assume that is a book I need to get ahold of. I will go look for it this weekend at Barnes and Nobles. Thank you for your suggestions.

I am actually not on any medicine any longer my Doc only had me on it for 10 days to try and jump start my period. I have had it once but have not been able to tell when I ovulate. I assume what your telling me about the basel body temp is more accurate - I guess i have some reading up to do so I know what these things are.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sims,
I'm sure there are books, but you don't need one. (The one people around here seem to like is "Taking Charge of Your Fertility.")
But more importantly, easily, immediately, and free-ly, you can just go to fertilityfriend.com, and they will walk you through the steps. If you see a little
: in people's sigs, you can go look at their charts on fertilityfriend. It helps you pinpoint when you ovulate, among other things, using only your daily observations. (You take your temperature every morning, and monitor cervical fluid.) Most people here would probably swear by it. I do.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

I don't really have any suggestions for you. I just wanted to tell you that I understand your frustration. You've been doing to right thing by getting in touch with your doctor. Try to have faith that your body will get back on track soon with your periods. Your period in May was a good sign, right?

I am also shocked by how difficult it can be to get pregnant. When you spend your entire life diligently avoiding pregnancy, fearful that even taking one bcp one hour late put you at risk for pregnancy, it is a real shock to learn that it isn't that easy. I wasted so much money on birth control!! All I really need to do was try to get pregnant, and that would work just as effectively as my birth control!

Anyway, it is frustrating. I am trying to accept the fact that this may be a longer journey than I anticipated but I am holding on to my faith that we will someday have a family.

In the meantime, I have found Mothering Dot Commune to be a great place for support.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone! After going off b/c it took me a full year before my cycles were even close to regular. I think I had about 5 periods over the entire year (and that includes the one right after I stopped b/c). But, the good news is, they DID regulate eventually. The things I tried were vitex and dong quai supplements as well as red raspberry leaf tea. My cycles are averaging 40-45 days but I am ovulating and able to chart it with my temperatures and checking my CM.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone - you are making me not feel so alone any longer. I appreciate all the kind and upbeat words.

I took a quick look at the fertility friend website which seems a little confusing to me so far. I hope to be able to figure it out tonight when i get home and off from work. I assume I have to pay some membership fee and than I can track my chart. Any suggestions on how to work the site would be very helpful. Thanks again everyone!!

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Fertility Friend has a free basic membership and a VIP membership which costs extra. You get a free trial of the VIP for the first month. I currently just have the free one and it is fine for basic charting.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I found the FF site a bit confusing, too. You can sign up without paying a fee, though I think you get more bells and whistles if you become a paying member. I just use it to track temps and cervical mucus data, for the moment, anyway. They do have some "tutorials" (for free) that can help you figure this out.

But I would start by getting hold of the book and reading it cover to cover. You need to get the basic info about charting and tracking your fertility before you can get into the website and doing your own chart. You could google "fertility awareness method" or charting and see what comes up, though I haven't had much luck. Essentially, your waking temperature and your cervical mucus (consistency and amount) changes with fluctuations in hormone levels over the course of your cycle. So when you graph your temps and your CM over the month, you can see when you ovulate, when you're about to menstruate, etc. You can also identify potential problems in hormone levels (cycles too long, too short, etc).

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I got basic tracking info from Fertility Friend (once you sign up for the free account they send short lessons to your email and within a few weeks you have a lot of info). I haven't read TCOYF but the ladies here like it a lot. I actually got a lot of info just by lurking on the boards and looking at other people's charts, trying to see what was going on. I'm no expert, but I definitely know my own signs and have a good idea of the range of "normal".

I think that a HUGE value of these Internet boards is learning that, in fact, you are normal. There are lots of other women who have gone through and are going through the same thing as you.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I learned a lot by reading here and using FF. I bought TCOYF from amazon.com for around $17. I was amazed when I read it all the things about my own body I did not know! The book also came with a CD with charting software.

Welcome, you will find a lot of support here, it is wonderful!

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
Charting is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I don't use FF or anything like that, and I haven't read TCOYF. My naturopath got me to chart, at first to check my thyroid. I have, however, read The Natural Way To Better Babies by Francesca Naish and Janette Roberts, which has a really good chapter on natural fertility - i.e. charting.

This is what I do: I've copied a grid, with horizontally about the same number of "boxes" as days in my cycle. Vertically, I have one box for each possible temperature between 35.5 and 37.5 (If you use Farenheit, check what the range is there). Get a body basal thermometer. Every morning when you wake up (before sitting up in bed or eating anything), at about the same time, check your temp at the back of your mouth. If I wake up to early, I take the temp then, and add 0.5 C (F? Don't know) per hour early. I subtract the same if I oversleep.

The second most important thing is cervical mucus. Check it every day. Early in your cycle, and just before period there may be very little, or none. Until just before ovulation it should be white and tacky. When you are fertile you get what is called Egg White Cervical Mucus (EWCM or ECM), because it is quite like raw eggwhite! It becomes clear, usually wetter and very stretchy, can stretch several cm! After ovulation it goes back to being white and tacky.

Don't worry if you don't get EWCM. I didn't, and as I've also had irregular periods since coming off the pill, I'm also on Vitex (chasteberry). I got EWCM the first time I ovulated after starting Vitex!

As you get better at charting, you can start adding symptoms, like moods, pains, bleeding, sexual desire(!), bloating, bowel etc. All these things can help you predict when you are going to ovulate, and also when your period will come, if it is irregular.

This sounds like a lot, but I found it much easier than I thought. Just start out simple, getting the thermometer and start out slowly, checking mucus, and go from there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW...you ladies are quite an awesome group. I can not believe the time you have all put in to help explain all of this to me. Honestly I am so grateful. Thank you very much.

I will have to do some reading tonight and see about getting a basel body thermometer.

Does the basel body temp have to be taken at the same time every morning and can you pick the time or is it a specific time?

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
You need to take your BBT first thing when you wake up and it should be the same wake up time. Even an hour extra can really increase your temp. If you don't get up at the same time you could try setting an alarm for the earliest you get up and then go back to sleep after. I slept in only 45min-hour extra a few times this week and my temp was higher to the point where I thought I O'd, but I actually hadn't. It seems like a pain but once you get in the habit it isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I have ordered TCOYF because it seems to be very comprehensive but you do not NEED it. You do not NEED FF either, you can download free charts to fill in online (type in fertily chart, i've got several) and also cervical mucous charts ie from babyhopes.com. About what to look for in CM and temperatures, if you read old posts on this board and do some research (library/online) you will know the basics of what you need to write down. There are also zines around, cheaper than books (but also less comprehensive and mostly copied info).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.