Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been part time ECing my DS since birth, holding him over the potty, or when smaller, the sink. He is now 16 months old, and getting a little heavy to hold. He is very opposed to sitting in a potty seat or on a small potty on the floor. He seems to only want me to hold him. Any tricks to transitioning towards greater independance?

· Registered
642 Posts
My ds didn't want to sit on the potty till he was two or so. I would sort of sit on the front of the seat (facing the wall) and let my son rest his weight against me.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After posting this, I got creative and tried a few things. First we looked at a lot of images of children using different potties. He found this real interesting. Then, I had his sister use the little floor potty which he found great! In his own time, he wanted to try it too. SUCCESS

· Registered
2,219 Posts
What I did with my daughter was sit on the seat as far back as I could go, then sit her on the edge of the seat in front of me and between my legs with her butt over the toilet bowl. It sort of made a seat back against my legs and belly and she felt very comfortable and I was still holding her. It makes it VERY easy to read them books while they are going potty, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.