Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lina:*whine, cling, fuss, whine*
Me: *flash of insight* do you need the potty? er, that is... does your tummy hurt? Does it hurt here? *pointing right below her belly button*
Lina: *signs hurt and points to her vulva*
Me: That means your bladder is full and you need the potty.

We then have a huge struggle with me moving the potty around and offering a ton of different toys and trying to get her to stand in the bath tub or nurse and go in the sink.

Finally dh basically pushes her onto the potty, to which she protests but doesn't do a full planky-baby (so she's crying, but is basically sitting on her own). And she PEES!! so much that a normal amount is in the potty and a normal sized puddle occurs from what sprays out from the sheer force of the peeing.

So....if I can offer her the potty when the clinginess first starts, any ideas on getting her onto the potty and relaxed *before* her bladder is so full she's convinced that bending at the waist is the most horrible thing ever?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
My DD went through that phase! Now she's 3.5 and she sometimes does the same thing but with poop.

One thing that helped when she was smaller was nursing on the potty so she would relax and pee.

Another thing we did was singing songs on the potty and making her giggle.

Reading a book works too. I found that saving a few surprise library books just for the potty got her excited about sitting on it initially to listen to the book, then she would pee once she was calm and sitting down.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, tried those all. She was so busy complaining that she didn't have to potty that she wouldn't nurse or look at books and she ignored tickling and belly poofs and singing. I even tried the ultimate toys of my phone and the binder with all our DVDs. Not interested.

In retrospect, she was also in the process of getting a horribly mucousy cold. So we'll see how things go when she's better.

(
that despite being sick she still tells us about needing to poop!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.