Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you doing to get back into shape?
How soon after do you usually start working out?

I've done a few leg lifts but nothing serious yet. Yesterday I was disappointed to discover that I couldn't zip ANY of my regular jeans up.
I need to desperately work out. I feel wierd working out in front of DH so it'll have to wait till tomorrow when he's at work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll be five weeks PP tomorrow and I've been walking regularly for the past 2-3 weeks. I started with just around the block or to the park (4-5 blocks), but now I, back to my 3-4 miles 5-6 days a week. It's hard because it's so cold, but unless it's under 10 I usually still go out. It's great for my psyche too :)

I'm anxious to get back on my yoga mat, but I haven't quite yet. I'm nervous about how rusty I'm going to feel. My center of balance still feels 'off' as well. I'm still bleeding a bit so I think I'll wait until after my checkup to return to class.

I just weighed myself yesterday and I'm 8 pounds above my prepregnancy weight. Ultimately I'd like to lose about 15-20 pounds. My regular jeans zip, but it's forced and uncomfortable.

I'm hoping to be fitting into most of my regular clothes by the time I go back to work at the beginning of March, but I'm not going to force it. It took 10 months for my body to change, it's only fair to give it at least that much time to change back. Im fairly certain Emelia is our last, so I've got the rest of forever to work on me :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I was ready to try mommy and baby yoga last week but then I got sick. :( I've been walking with baby in the carrier so that's a good start. I'm 9lbs up from pre pregnancy. I'm guessing several lbs of that is milk and boob but I have a few pounds to work on losing but mostly I just want my core strength back. I can't button up any pants.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Has everyone stopped bleeding? I'm 3.5 weeks PP and still bleeding some, so I thought I couldn't work out yet? I am walking as much as I can, but I sooo want to do some vigorous yoga or weight lifting. I'm up about 20 lbs I think, I don't have a scale... I'm 5'8" and about 150 right now. I carried about 10-15 lbs for over a year with DD, I don't lose with breastfeeding, I think my body needs more cushion to nurse. I don't mind the weight though, but I do mind the general "softness". I'm ready to firm up!

But I'm with you @MulberryMom, it took 10 months to get this baby, I'm not going to rush/force anything to get back to where I was. I also think having a newborn, and all the fussiness/sleeplessness/general havoc that that entails means this isn't the time to be really focused on getting shredded :)

On a related note, my biggest problem is DIET! I get soooo hungry and then overeat, and the lack of sleep makes me more susceptible to indulging in sweets.

·
Registered
141 Posts
@element2012 I'm 4 weeks PP tomorrow and still bleeding lightly. I've been doing squats and light bodyweight resistance stuff every couple of days, but I'm not seeing any difference in firmness. I'm up about 20 pounds from prepregnancy weight and not happy about it at all. DD and I went for a 2 mile walk today and it seems like I'm going to need to start doing that every day if I want to see any real change. The extra weight is not "melting off with breastfeeding" like I'd hoped. Or maybe I just need to wait longer, I don't know.

I guess I was hoping skinnying back down would be easy and it looks like I'm going to have to work at it!:frown:

·
Registered
45 Posts
@element2012 I'm 4 weeks PP tomorrow and still bleeding lightly. I've been doing squats and light bodyweight resistance stuff every couple of days, but I'm not seeing any difference in firmness. I'm up about 20 pounds from prepregnancy weight and not happy about it at all. DD and I went for a 2 mile walk today and it seems like I'm going to need to start doing that every day if I want to see any real change. The extra weight is not "melting off with breastfeeding" like I'd hoped. Or maybe I just need to wait longer, I don't know.

I guess I was hoping skinnying back down would be easy and it looks like I'm going to have to work at it!:frown:
That whole 'melting off with breastfeeding' was never true for me either. I usually hang onto 5-10 pounds until babe is weaned. That being said, you'd be surprised at how your body will continue to change post partum. I was always frustrated with what seemed like complete lack of progress, and then I'd try on something from my prepregnancy wardrobe and it would fit (or be way closer to fitting than last time I tried it on). Keep eating well and moving your body and slowly but surely your body will change.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I made it to a "yoga for core" post partum class but it wasn't really difficult enough to feel like I'd worked any muscles at all... and that's not because I'm in shape. I think I need to try some other classes. I also hopped on the scale and saw that I have GAINED. [facepalm] This post pregnancy period is very different from my first for sure. I must be taking in too many calories for how much my little guy is consuming.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I went running yesterday for the first time since, I don't know, my 5th month of pregnancy? It felt good but I was little horrified at how jiggly everything was, LOL. And I only made it a mile and a half. But it feels good to use those muscles again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts