Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling with dd's weight gain for the past month. I know that I produce what she drinks, but I returned to work today and need to pump throughout the day. Unfortunately, as many WOHM's experience with pumping, I can only do it so many times through my day and not necessarily when she'd be eating. I managed to get 8 ounces total. She drank 13 at my parents' house.

I take Fenugreek, More Milk tincture, and drink Mother's Milk tea. I eat oatmeal fairly regularly and have just bought some malt at a friend's suggestion. What else can I do to get enough milk to last her through the days? A this rate, my freezer stash will be gone in 2 weeks!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
i'm a wohm too. i didn't get as much at first as i do now.
i set up a pretend feeding at night after dd went to sleep, which helped, and i also read to let the pump run after the milk stops when you pump during the day. that signals your body to make more.
i also pump before i leave the house after she eats in the morning, very early, and i get LOTS of milk at that one-- that's what i leave on the counter for her da to give her.
i feel like once i got into an established routine (pump in morning, at 10-1030, at around 1, and again at 4-ish) it increased a bit. you can build your stash till you get the increase by doing the night "pretend" session.
do know that it will get better, you just have to keep at it and get your body used to it. i also noticed when i allowed the pump to do the "letdown" part, i got more- i initially thought it was a waste of time (it's a medela).

remember that
you're doing a great thing!!!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm a wohm as well.

How long are you gone for? How much is she taking per bottle, and how often?

A couple points-- check out kellymom for advice on paced, and how much expressed milk to feed your kid during the day. She should be taking an ounce to an ounce and a half while you are away.

My body seems to have adjusted to the pump as time has gone on (I've been at this a month). I can pump more and more now. (I still don't get 8 ounces on most days, though).

I also made a pact not to sleep until I'd made as much milk as he drank. So if we pulled 2 ounces from the freezer, I'd pump an extra 2 ounces.

kellymom.com and workandpump.com really have helped me for these past few weeks.

Please keep posting, WOHM is hard, and pumping is a little easier knowing that there are other moms in the same boat!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have to use the larger sized shields to pump effectively. I also massage and compress while pumping which helps. Doing something relaxing like reading or eating a snack while pumping also helps me pump better. Manually expressing milk after pumping is supposed to be good for your supply as well. I used to have time to do this while at work at my last job but now I don't. It will get better. Seems like by the second week back at work I was pumping better. Hang in there!

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
Hi Rose-Roget,

It sounds like you are doing a lot of great things! And the PPs had lots of good suggestions. I especially agree with texmati's suggestion to "check out kellymom for advice on ... how much expressed milk to feed your kid during the day" and with HappyTomato's suggestion that "Doing something relaxing like reading or eating a snack while pumping ...helps ... pump better." If I'm pumping at home, I do something fun while I pump and if I'm pumping at work I often work while I pump.

My question would be about what kind of pump you are using? I have both a personal pump (a Medela PISA) and a hospital-grade one (a Medela Lactina, which I rent) and the hospital grade one is *much* better. I often get 1 1/2 to 2 times as much with the hospital grade pump. You might try renting a hospital grade one for a week or two and seeing if that helps.

Sending good thoughts your way!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great advice, everyone. I hope that it does get easier because it's been a real struggle to get as much as she drinks in a day this week. Fortunately, I only work 3 days that I need to pump. I think I don't have a fantastic supply anyway because dd eats so little, or "snacks" every hour when I'm home. So when I pump and don't even get what she would normally get, that just compounds the problems.

I have a Medela PIS (or PISA - I'm not sure). I have been thinking about renting a hospital grade pump. We're a little tight on money right now, but if it can get me through until the summer (I work in the schools), then it would be worth it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I found that I needed to pump at home as well as at work in order to get enough milk for DS during the time I was gone for work. Perhaps you can pump first thing in the morning and then also when you get home. When you pump at home you can nurse your DD at the same time. You might find you get more milk expressed that way.

·
Registered
783 Posts
When I was pumping for my LO at work it was the same situation that you are descibing I would pump 9oz at work he would eat 12. I just found at some point I had to make the commitment to only feed him breastmilk and to pump whenever and I mean whenever the situation presented itself. This meant bringing my pump everywhere with me. If I had an hour long car ride I would pump at the end of it before getting out of the car, or if I was going somewhere I would have an hour or even 30 minutes I would pump after 30 minutes passed before feeding LO.

It will get easier, just set yourself a schedule and pump whenever you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.