Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LO hates going to sleep! She fights it so hard. Even when she's exhausted and nodding off, she'll realize she falling asleep and start screaming again. DH and I have to walk around with her, rocking her, shhhing her, doing deep knee bends. It can take an hour to get her to go to sleep sometimes! She has to be swaddled or she'll wake herself up in her sleep. Most of the time she sleeps in her swing. It seems to be where she sleeps best -- actually, it's just about the only place where she'll go to sleep -- after the rocking, shhhing, etc of course. Any tips? I feel like I've tried everything.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Have you tried slinging her? My LO hates sleep a good 50% of the time (which is really weird because the other times, she goes right down with nary a fuss
) and I've found letting her sleep in the moby wrap or our ring sling is the best because I can do all the rocking/shushing/etc and when she falls asleep, I can just let her stay here and don't have to worry about transferring her and waking her up. Then my hands are free to do whatever else I'd like to do - I'm not just "stuck" holding her.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, ladies. I forgot to say that she isn't a fan of being worn.
: Yet. She loves looking outward, so once she can hold her head up well enough, I'm hoping to wear her lots more. When she can hold her head up and can keep her thumb in her mouth well enough to suck it, I think she's going to be a happy, happy girl. Of course, then she'll probably start teething or something.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Hugs here, too.

Have you tried a pacifier? Could she be getting overtired? I know when getting mine to sleep was really hard I'd put it off and they'd get overtired and it would make it even harder.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spanica View Post
My LO hates going to sleep! She fights it so hard. Even when she's exhausted and nodding off, she'll realize she falling asleep and start screaming again. DH and I have to walk around with her, rocking her, shhhing her, doing deep knee bends. It can take an hour to get her to go to sleep sometimes! She has to be swaddled or she'll wake herself up in her sleep. Most of the time she sleeps in her swing. It seems to be where she sleeps best -- actually, it's just about the only place where she'll go to sleep -- after the rocking, shhhing, etc of course. Any tips? I feel like I've tried everything.
my lo does this too... she hates sleeping.we go for a walk in the late morning, i push her in a stroller and she eventually falls esleep. (i walk about 1-2 miles with her). if she doen't get her morning walk, she has a bad day! she gets sleepy in the afternoon, she some times bf and will scream to keep herslelf up, some times she'll fall esleep in my arms and i just don't move. i have books in every room because some times i get stuck there for a while. she use to fall eslee in the swing, but that stopped workinmg for us about two months ago! just hang in there, i don't think there is much you can do if she really doesn't want to sleep.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
We've had a lot of trouble with DD going to sleep. First, the sling, DD hated the obes we tried, the wrap in any position, I thought she hated being worn - until recently when a friend lent me her Ergo. DD loves it and sleeps really well in it. The other thing that has worked well for us was walking her to sleep in the push chair - as soon as we got her to sleep we'd walk home and park the push chair in the living room.

At night I just feed her to sleep, everything else just took too long!

Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Hugs here, too.

Have you tried a pacifier? Could she be getting overtired? I know when getting mine to sleep was really hard I'd put it off and they'd get overtired and it would make it even harder.
She won't take a pacifier unfortunately. Yes, she definitely harder to put to sleep when she's overtired. We try to get her to nap early and often, but she screams no matter how long she's been awake. I'm hoping this is something she'll grow out of... soon!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
How old is she? Is there a time of night at which she usually screams?

DS screamed at 10:30pm for 15 minutes no matter what, then fell asleep. I think he was overtired. With DD, I rock/nurse her to sleep sometime between 7 and 8:30 and then when she wakes up, I just nurse her and she stays asleep/falls right back to sleep. Then I give her her pacifier so she stays asleep better (though she's outgrowing this now, at 9 mo)

You could also try a nighttime routine of sorts, depending on her age. Bath, pajamas, rocking/singing, whatever.

If none of those things work, I'd say that maybe this is just how she is. Keep the walking/bouncing/singing etc to comfort her and let it go. She's ok, because you're still taking care of her. She will outgrow it-- DS did.

Also, as an aside, the only thing that stopped DS from crying was to take his diaper off and blow on his bottom with a hair dryer (on cold). Don't know why!

ETA: duh, your title says 2 mo old! Well, what I said still stands.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AislinCarys View Post
We've had a lot of trouble with DD going to sleep. First, the sling, DD hated the obes we tried, the wrap in any position, I thought she hated being worn - until recently when a friend lent me her Ergo. DD loves it and sleeps really well in it. The other thing that has worked well for us was walking her to sleep in the push chair - as soon as we got her to sleep we'd walk home and park the push chair in the living room.

At night I just feed her to sleep, everything else just took too long!

Good luck!
I don't know how old your DD is, either, but that is what we did with DS. The downside is that he still, at 29 months, only goes to bed for me. Only recently has he even considered napping for DH without DH using the car. I think there is merit in, when you are able to, getting her used to other ways of falling asleep too.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
Also, as an aside, the only thing that stopped DS from crying was to take his diaper off and blow on his bottom with a hair dryer (on cold). Don't know why!
And now I'm all curious about how you figured that one out.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
And now I'm all curious about how you figured that one out.
I don't remember.
I think, in typical first-time-mother fashion, I was concerned that his butt was wet from the diaper and found out that way. Or maybe it was because he calmed down when i dried my hair and I somehow got the butt idea separately. ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Is there a time of night at which she usually screams?
She does this *every* time she needs to go to sleep.

Quote:

That's funny. DD stops crying 98% of the time when I put her down on the changing table and take her diaper off. I guess she just likes the fresh air down there. Too bad I can't get her to sleep there!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sounds to me like she's getting overtired.

DS did this too and I realized (as a new mom...my son is also 2 months old) I was ignoring the fact that he'd been getting sleepy in the half an hour prior to the meltdown. So now as soon as he starts yawning or his eyebrow area gets red (don't know why this happens with him, but thats usually the first sign that he's tired) I get him ready for bed.

You may want to try just putting her down wherever she sleeps when she gets tired (before the screaming starts). Sometimes DS will get tired and a little fussy and if I lay him down somewhere quiet and just sit nearby or lay beside him he'll settle himself down immediately and be fast asleep within a couple of minutes. It took me awhile to figure this out, because the instinct is to rock and soothe our babies to sleep...with DS it just creates more stimulation and makes his fussing turn into crying. Some babies are self-soothers by nature, I guess and just need a little bit of space.

A pacifier is a great idea...helps my son get to sleep when he doesn't want any milk, but needs to suck on something.

It also works with DS to lay beside him and rub his forehead...start with two fingers between the eyebrows and gently and slowly move your fingers straight up to the hairline...this knocks my son out within a couple of minutes...its a chinese massage therapy technique.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 6-month-old still screams before most naps and at night. It's better than it was at 2 months, though. Some things that we did that may have helped - or she may have just grown out of it a bit.

-Get night-time sleep under control first. The better rested you are, the easier it is to deal with your baby's sleep problems.
-Do a bedtime routine so he knows it's time to sleep. She cries less often at night than she does for naps, though we still get crying and screaming. We've just started a shortened version for naps.
-Watch for your baby's sleep cues - I think he's probably getting over-tired which makes it 1000 times more difficult for him to go to sleep. You have to be hyper-vigilant for a few days so that you can tell how your baby indicates his tiredness - usually fussiness, eye rubbing, etc.
-Don't let your baby be awake for more than 2 hours at a time. At that age, my daughter started getting tired after about 90 minutes. If you start the going-to-sleep process earlier, he's less likely to get over-tired and it's easier. There's this magical point when she'll go to sleep easily, but I miss it most of the time.
-Let him take at least one nap on you (in the rocking chair, lying on the couch, in bed, wherever) each day to get in the habit of napping. Or at least use that as an excuse to hold and cuddle your sleeping baby.
-My daughter would only go in the Moby until very recently. Now I can do a hip-hold in the ring sling and we were just given an Ergo that she likes. In the beginning, I would put on the Moby, rock her to sleep on my chest and then transfer her into the wrap to do what I needed to do. As she's gotten older, she's happier being in the wrap while awake.
-Read Happiest Baby on the Block (at least the sleep chapters) and No Cry Sleep Solution. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child has lots of really good information about sleep but don't follow the advice (it's very rigid CIO). Dr. Sears' baby book was also very informative for me.

Good luck and know that it does get easier, even if it doesn't go away entirely.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Great advise pp. I would just add that at that age we had good luck with the blow dryer as white noise that would help ds "flip the switch" to sleep esp. if overtired.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachel7628 View Post
My 6-month-old still screams before most naps and at night. It's better than it was at 2 months, though. Some things that we did that may have helped - or she may have just grown out of it a bit.

-Get night-time sleep under control first. The better rested you are, the easier it is to deal with your baby's sleep problems.
-Do a bedtime routine so he knows it's time to sleep. She cries less often at night than she does for naps, though we still get crying and screaming. We've just started a shortened version for naps.
-Watch for your baby's sleep cues - I think he's probably getting over-tired which makes it 1000 times more difficult for him to go to sleep. You have to be hyper-vigilant for a few days so that you can tell how your baby indicates his tiredness - usually fussiness, eye rubbing, etc.
-Don't let your baby be awake for more than 2 hours at a time. At that age, my daughter started getting tired after about 90 minutes. If you start the going-to-sleep process earlier, he's less likely to get over-tired and it's easier. There's this magical point when she'll go to sleep easily, but I miss it most of the time.
-Let him take at least one nap on you (in the rocking chair, lying on the couch, in bed, wherever) each day to get in the habit of napping. Or at least use that as an excuse to hold and cuddle your sleeping baby.
-My daughter would only go in the Moby until very recently. Now I can do a hip-hold in the ring sling and we were just given an Ergo that she likes. In the beginning, I would put on the Moby, rock her to sleep on my chest and then transfer her into the wrap to do what I needed to do. As she's gotten older, she's happier being in the wrap while awake.
-Read Happiest Baby on the Block (at least the sleep chapters) and No Cry Sleep Solution. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child has lots of really good information about sleep but don't follow the advice (it's very rigid CIO). Dr. Sears' baby book was also very informative for me.

Good luck and know that it does get easier, even if it doesn't go away entirely.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My 5 month old was exactly this way.

She now, usually, goes down easily at night, but naps are awful, again. We went through a month or so of great napping, but now she is screaming before every nap, again. It's horrible. I just have hugs to offer! For us the trick was a super early bedtime to make up for the sleep she was not getting during the day. She's typically down for the night around 6 and up for the day around 6-7. She naps, usually an hour to an hour and a half a day and is mostly sleeping through the night. I hold her for naps because it's the only way she'll sleep.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah1122 View Post
Sounds to me like she's getting overtired.

DS did this too and I realized (as a new mom...my son is also 2 months old) I was ignoring the fact that he'd been getting sleepy in the half an hour prior to the meltdown. So now as soon as he starts yawning or his eyebrow area gets red (don't know why this happens with him, but thats usually the first sign that he's tired) I get him ready for bed.

You may want to try just putting her down wherever she sleeps when she gets tired (before the screaming starts). Sometimes DS will get tired and a little fussy and if I lay him down somewhere quiet and just sit nearby or lay beside him he'll settle himself down immediately and be fast asleep within a couple of minutes. It took me awhile to figure this out, because the instinct is to rock and soothe our babies to sleep...with DS it just creates more stimulation and makes his fussing turn into crying. Some babies are self-soothers by nature, I guess and just need a little bit of space.

A pacifier is a great idea...helps my son get to sleep when he doesn't want any milk, but needs to suck on something.

It also works with DS to lay beside him and rub his forehead...start with two fingers between the eyebrows and gently and slowly move your fingers straight up to the hairline...this knocks my son out within a couple of minutes...its a chinese massage therapy technique.
Yes, yes, yes! I was also letting my LO get overly tired. I didn't know it. I couldn't figure out why she was screaming all the time. I am so much less stress out, I can't even tell you. Sometimes she gets really tired and needs to be soothed. Other times, she is a great self-soother and putting her down and lying by her works great. I notice she really only needs to be soothed when she is overly tired. I thought I needed to soothe her to sleep every time and that was making her worse! I sort of feel weird about it because I feel like she should want me to hold her and rock her to sleep, but if she is just getting tired, she does much better if I don't. If the screaming starts, though, I have to do everything in my power to get her to stop. The best thing I've found for her is to turn the bathroom fan on. It stops her crying immediately over 90% of the time.

ETA: I should also add that, for some strange reason, she goes down at night very easily for the most part (at least compared to napping). I think part of it is that she is a terrible napper during the day and she's really tired. But if you can get the nighttime sleeping down, it might help during the day...and at least reduce your stress to deal with her. That is what I found. I actually dreaded each day without DH while he is at work. Now it's not so bad. She still screams when she refuses to sleep, but being well rested makes it so, so much easier.

Oh, and one more thing. White noise. I use the bathroom fan to calm her and it's great. But when she's sleeping during the day especially, she likes to have a CD on with white noise. I usually play rain falling, but the CD has at least 10 different tracks. There's quite a few available to buy. Or, you could just use a hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, etc. and make your own I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.