Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I don't know which option to pick to have my daughter evaluated:

1. ISD, special needs early child intervention and testing

2. Go to my school district to see if she can get evaluated by a psy. there.

3. Find a child psy. privately

What are your experiences with any of these and what would you suggest. It has been suggested that my dd might need a neruopsy. in the future as well. We homeschool and I really hate dealing with the school system and don't feel like having to stand up for myself every time we turn around. But I don't know if we can afford a child psy. privately.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I see you're in Michigan - which county? I live in Washtenaw County and most of the school districts are cool there about testing from what I've heard/ dealt with. Wayne, not so much.

I had to pay out of pocket for a pediatric psychologist's eval at U of M and that ran me $250...which quite frankly I want back b/c it wasn't the eval I wanted, it's the one they chose for me as they just assumed dd was autistic. She's not. But I have serious U of M issues

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamocak View Post
Ok, I don't know which option to pick to have my daughter evaluated:

1. ISD, special needs early child intervention and testing

2. Go to my school district to see if she can get evaluated by a psy. there.

3. Find a child psy. privately

What are your experiences with any of these and what would you suggest. It has been suggested that my dd might need a neruopsy. in the future as well. We homeschool and I really hate dealing with the school system and don't feel like having to stand up for myself every time we turn around. But I don't know if we can afford a child psy. privately.
I would go ahead and try the schools before shelling out any cash. They are the access to federal programs for early childhood evaluation and education. You don't have to send your child in for the whole ECSE program if they qualify. Some districts make you come to the school for therapies, but others will come to your home. In any case, you don't have to subscribe to their entire program to get an evaluation or therapy services.

Anna

·
Registered
823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Da WIC Lady View Post
I would go ahead and try the schools before shelling out any cash. They are the access to federal programs for early childhood evaluation and education. You don't have to send your child in for the whole ECSE program if they qualify. Some districts make you come to the school for therapies, but others will come to your home. In any case, you don't have to subscribe to their entire program to get an evaluation or therapy services.

Anna

yep.

I would give the schools a chance too. Fortunately (and unfortunately) there are more and more kids in need of services and help. I am sure you are not the only parent who did not want their 3 year old in a preschool program. From what I have seen even in my community, homeschooling is becoming a lot more common and accepted.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I'd call my insurance company first thing and see how it woudl work- are any Dev Peds or neuropsychs in the network? what's the out of network benefits situation?

and at the same time, write the district officially requesting comprehensive assesent for sp ed services.

as people have said, you hae no obligation to accept any services they offer, and there's no guarentee their employees will write totally helpful, top-notch reports. but they could, and it will be free for sure. just get that beurocratic ball rolling!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.