Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bfing my ds 21mo right now and because of it my hormones are all messed up. I have af but not on a regular basis. That isnt so much a problem, what is a problem is that the total time I am bleeding can be very long. Longest 28 days and right now I am on day 14 with no slowing
: It isnt really heavy bleeding just normal af but still I am going batty and frankly my poor bumm is getting sore from wearing a pad so long (i cant use tampons and I really dont like the Diva cup).

I was woundering is there a herbal supliment or 2 that I could take that would get my body at least a little back to normal and be ok while bfing? I did go to the mw shortly after af returned and lasted so long and she gave me progesterone pills to take after the blood work came back with elevated levels were they shouldnt be and the u/s was clear. I just dont like having to take the progesterone every single month. It does affect my supply a bit as well. I am at my wits end. Any help would be much appriciated.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Vitex (vitex agnus castus, or chasteberry) is good for balancing hormones, and kellymom says is okay for bfing if you keep an eye on your milk supply:
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...m_c.html#vitex

Supporting the liver can also help normalise hormone levels (since the liver breaks down hormones, imnproving liver function can reduce excess estrogen symptoms). Dandelion root is a good liver function herb and okay while breastfeeding (though if I were you I'd try the tincture rather than making tea from the root - I HATE the taste).

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
: so much. I now vitex is good for progesterone. I read to that it is actually used sometimes to help with milk production. I will look for the dandelion root as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.