Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past few weeks or so, 13-month old ds has not wanted to get into the car, let alone getting into the car seat. our mornings are pretty crazy and hectic and we're usually somewhat pressed for time but we usually let him work out his issues (ok, you want to sit in the stroller while we put on your shoes - that's fine; you don't want to put on your jacket, that's fine too). getting into the car and into the carseat is not an option - daycare and work are too far away to consider walking. he's fine when he's in-arms and looking outside, but the second we turn back to the car or move towards the car door, he loses it. we have a repeat performance at the end of the day coming home from daycare. he isn't big enough himself to get into the car or into the carseat so it really does become a physical battle, especially now that he has learned how to "melt".<br><br>
does anybody have any tips?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'll take a shot at this, since there are no replies, although I think there are threads about carseat struggles in "toddlers" and "gentle discipline."<br><br>
Can you make something really, really good happen in the car? For example, my daughter knows that after I pick her up from day care, she gets a sippy cup of water and a snack on the way home after she gets into her car seat. On the way to day care, we usually listen to or sing songs, something else she really enjoys.<br><br>
Another angle might be to consider turning your son forward-facing, if he weighs enough (he's old enough, I think.) I know it's not as safe, but once my daughter was big enough and old enough, we did it, and it gave her a lot more to look at.<br><br>
Finally, now that my daughter can talk, she says "poking me!" when something in her car seat is uncomfortable. Maybe there's a buckle or strap or something that truly is poking or making your son uncomfortable.<br><br>
Best wishes -

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heh, yeah, the diaper was WAY too tight. silly ladies.<br><br>
ds was in a funk last week and finally returned to his normal cheery self late in the week. growth spurt? the big difference is that he now thinks that outside is cool. he didn't care one way or the other before. now he wants to go outside all the time. rain or shine. thunder or no. lightning or no. so, we've changed the morning routine somewhat. ds and i go out the front door, and oo and aahh at the plants that are popping up. dh (aka "pack horse") loads up the SUV with our stuff for the day, backs it out and waits for us to get in. we're now also using a snack and a drink as a regular thing en route.<br><br>
i posted over in gentle discipline and someone suggested a "pretend trip" - ds had no interest in that - just interest in my keys.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
are you both in the car (mom and dad) with him? can one of you ride in the back?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts