Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new pup is not that into eating...
If I put her dish out she takes about 2-3 minutes and eats some and thats about it. If I leave the dish out she will wander back to it every so often but I would rather not just leave it out for her. Any suggestions? SHould I just leave it out for a set time and then offer the same food at her next feeding? I am feeding her 3x a day. My last dog would inhale anything you put in fron of her, unless she was not feeeling well--my 1st clue that something was wrong.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
What food are you offering? Brand, I mean.

I think it can be very common to not have a very eating-motivated dog (it's very common in Danes to have "poor eaters"), but I don't think it's "normal" and I do try to solve it. I don't solve by offering a different food every day, but I've seen it happen with puppies that are otherwise sharking anyone and everyone trying to get a bit of their food--in other words, he likes food, but doesn't like THAT food. So I'll change food entirely and see if he or she can get enthused about the new one. Raw feeding tends to motivate all dogs to eat, which is one of the benefits I've seen since switching.

So, long story short, I'd consider switching kibbles if she's obviously hungry but just doesn't like that food.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I have discovered, at least for her lunch, that if I put her food in her Kong (which I had only been using for treats to occupy her with) she will finish what I give her in the kong. Is there anything bad about this idea? She is on the premium edge puppy food.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
i think giving it in a kong is a great idea. it makes him work for his food and keeps him intersted. i give my dogs their breakfast in kongs when i leave for school.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.