Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas for my 7 yr old with SID, and maybe ADD. We are trying to figure out a reliable way to get him to engage his brain so he can get school work done. He sits there angry and yelling, and struggles to figure out 1 + 0. Then eventually he gets this calm and ready look on his face, he stops fidgeting, and then he can do a whole page of subtraction on his own in five minutes. We know a bunch of things that turn him "off", like TV, but we don't know how to turn him back "on". Sometimes jumping on the trampoline helps, sometimes a time deadline with a reward helps. I don't know if this is more of an SID problem or an ADD problem, or maybe both. Sound familiar to anyone with SID or ADD kids?

·
Registered
322 Posts
We have had tons of homework issues over the years and I don't know what will work for you but I can tell you some of the things we do.

1. Set homework time. For us this is a 1/2 sensory/snack break after they get home from school and then homework. If there is some sort of appointment during that time then we set a similar schedule for later but there is a consistent set "homework" time.

2. Homework time is only so long depending on thier grade level (most districts have a policy of what they consider appropriate homework time for a given grade level). When it is over it is over and we turn in what was complete. I don't know if this will be an issue for your son but my kids do need modifications. Some nights they are just off and cannot complete homework. We can work and argue over it for 2-3 hours and they just can't. When they were little it was just not appropriate to work that long. So I got to where I set a timer for the length of time. If they didn't have homework or finished early then it was used as reading time.

Believe it or not this really helped. It gave an end to it for my kids and took off the stressful feeling that they would be there all night. As soon as I did that they began finishing much quicker.

However, the timer doesn't start until they sit down and start trying not goofing off. s

3. Set up a set homework area complete with all the materials they will need. I am in process of doing my yearly bit on that right now. We have a bench style table in a corner of our family room that is set up special for art projects and homework type stuff. In the benches they have all the supplies they need. I also have lap desks and other type stuff around so they have a comfortable quiet place where we all work together on homework at homework time.

4. Only monitor and help with directions. Our job really is to set a time, place and structure/support for homework. Not to reteach the material. Homework really should be independent practice. If they cannot do it independently then they need extra instruction in school. By the time they get home thier brains are no longer able to accept new instruction. Don't do homework for them and don't try to reteach. It actually gets very stressful for you and them. And if you do the homework for them the teachers will not have an accurate picture of how well your child can actually do the work.

If homework gets really tough I have worked out modified homework with the school. If the grades are ok and they are understanding the material they really shouldn't have to stress over pages and pages of math facts or similar if they are special needs and it is very hard for them to do so. If they don't understand the material then they need extra tutoring in school. Occasionally I will clarify something with them but if they are really not understanding the material, thier brains are typically too tired to try and understand it at night.

My philosophy has always been if I have to teach all the material after they get home, it would be better for me to just keep them home and teach it the first time. Most teachers do very well and are creative but some have to have been held accountable.

5. Lastly you may want to set up some sort of contract to help motivate him for homework. One thing my daughter loved was the option of staying up late. If she does her homework to the best of her ability each night without an argument she gets to stay up an hour late on the weekends. We are just starting that for my son as well. I keep a star chart. They get a star each night and at the end of the week if they have 4 they stay up late.

Renee

ps. I am also a teacher so this is not meant as anti teacher. Many are wonderful but some really need to be held responsible to make sure each child learns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.