I'm a breastfeeding mama of an 11 month-old and we've had thrush numerous times. Although the baby doesn't appear to have thrush any longer, for the past three months I've had an itchy red area on my breast tissue and my nipples are irritated and sore. My husband also feels like he has yeast in his mouth. The pediatrician says the baby is fine, but recently I've noticed that he seems to have strong stomach pains during the night. Also, yesterday a rash appeared on my thighs...maybe that's yeast too. Doctors have treated us with nystatin and fluconazole, but the yeast always comes back.I'm currently taking vitamins and probiotics. How do we conquer this yeast problem for good? A doctor once mentioned to me that the infections indicate that I have a PH problem. Is this correct? I appreciate any advice you might have!  

Many people go on very low sugar diets and take enzyme products, such as caprylic acid and cellulase, sold to help control yeast. Garlic is helpful, as are oregano extract and coconut oil. Have you cut out all trans fats? 

You can find complete anti-yeast diets online or in books; they're all pretty similar. I'm unable to find anything that confirms that Candida eat other fungi like mushrooms, or fermented products, and so I waver, personally, on that part of the yeast diets.

Mushrooms have no simple sugars and have not been demonstrated to feed yeasts. They do have powerful immune stimulating properties and their fibers encourage your good bacteria.

Yeasts CAUSE fermentation, they do not live on the products of fermentation. It is a product of their metabolism. Fermented products, such as yogurt and kefir, are full of healthy bacteria needed to battle Candida. 

Very little alcohol is turned to sugar in the body. The yeast used to create alcohol (fermentation) is a different kind than the yeast causing your uncomfortable symptoms. It's mostly filtered out in the end of the beer and wine making process and Candida does not consume Brewer's yeast. Alcohol consumption to any degree does tax the liver making it immediately less able to regulate your blood sugar optimally. Candida sufferers report a link between alcohol consumption and flare-ups.

There's an unexplained link between yeast infections and allergies. Though I don't think it's the initial cause of the cycle, some sufferers do appear to possibly have allergic reactions to molds and yeasts. This might be a reason why some do better without these in their diets.

You ask about a pH problem. Many acidic foods, like citrus, are shown to be alkalizing in the system, while meat and milk are acidifying. Coffee, soda, refined grains, alcohol and sugar are all acidifying. An alkalizing diet, basically a vegan diet minus the junk, might not be a bad direction to head in trying to battle the yeast. Either way, a strong, low sugar, high fiber, nutritious diet should help you. 

Yeast has a way of altering its environment to favor its continued inhabitation. It can take months of hard work to eliminate and it takes a continued healthy diet to keep it away.