Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I'm getting closer to D Day... I'm really getting scared about it, lol. I'm afraid of going through labor again. Since I only made it to 5cm last time and it was bad getting to that, I can't imagine it being worse... even though I know it will. I'm also scared about pushing and all that. Since having a c/s last time, I feel this is my first baby because I didn't experience passed 5cm and a vaginal birth so I'm nervous like I was when pregnant with my DS. Anyone else feel this way before your VBAC or are you feeling like that now? I know a VBAC IS what I want, I'm just scared. Oh and another thing... since I was induced last time, is my body going to treat this as my first baby? Since my body never got a chance to go into labor on its own.... Anyway TIA

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You and I are in a similar situation. I was induced with my twins just before 38 weeks and I never made it past 2 cm. I am due Dec 8th. I do get nervous sometimes. How I try to look at it (and I have even told my mw's this) is I don't feel at any more of a disadvantage than anyone else. I never had a chance to go into labor on my own so how can anyone say my body can't do this. This just HAVE to be different when your baby and body picks the time to be ready.
Remember too, you didn't get past 5 cm's in the time frame that the dr's wanted you to. You would have gotten past 5 cm's but just not fast enough for them. So you can do this!
But yes I think it is very normal to feel this way. My mw was telling me not to be surprised if I start having these feelings in the middle of labor. It is almost impossible for it not to at least cross your mind. But remember your body is meant to do this!!!

I have heard that if you were induced for your first one that this should be treated like a first time birth. But remember that you don't know how your body reacts to birth even as a first time birth. You can have a really easy labor, you never had a chance to know that the first time because you were induced.

I am saying all this to reassure both of us
You can do this!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by logan&jordansmommy View Post
But yes I think it is very normal to feel this way. My mw was telling me not to be surprised if I start having these feelings in the middle of labor. It is almost impossible for it not to at least cross your mind. But remember your body is meant to do this!!!

Yes, yes, yes! My first was induced, and I never made it past 5cm. I also had a lot of worries about the second birth. As I got closer to 5cm I just prayed I would get past it. The labor was long and slow. In the end it was a beautiful homebirth and I only pushed for 15 minutes.

Anything is possible. Have faith and remember your body is made for this job. Birthing from Within is a great book that helped me work through the fear.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mama, you CAN do it!! I remember these feelings just before my VBAC. For my first labor I was induced, never made it past 4cm before my c/s. This time I let myself go into labor (i was almost 2 weeks over EDD) and had a beautiful 15hr labor and 20 minutes of pushing.

I remember as I was in labor, telling myself after every contx that I was that much closer to my baby. I took it one minute at a time and worked thru that feeling before moving on.

You can do it!!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I was nervous towards the end of my second pregnancy (also a girl after having a boy named Colin
). I also made it to 5cm with my first baby.
I think you can't have any real expectations about length of labor~ it could be quite a while but it also could be much shorter. Either way, you CAN do it
Since I labored to 5cm with my first, those 5 cms seemed to go much faster the second time, but then I labored as a first-time mom. I've heard this is often the case, but you never really know.
It really helped me to read other VBAC birth stories and to read natural childbirth books (like Ina May, etc).. I think that helped my confidence tremendously.
Good luck

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
I felt the same way before having my VBAC baby! and you know what? my VBAC labor was practically pain free (not really but it seems that way now) in comparison to my c/s labor (which was sheer hellish back labor due to OP baby). I kept getting ready for worse contractions the whole labor with my VBAC and they stayed the same!!! each labor is different and remember your body KNOWS what to do, so try not to think about it all too much. you CAN do it mama!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the confidence!! Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one feeling this way. Forgot to mention in my original post the reason I didn't make it passed 5cm. My induction caused my uterus to hyperstimulate.... I wasn't having any breaks in between contractions. It was awful and painful! Because of this, it caused placental abruption so his heart rate was going into the 60s.
So c/s I went! I'm so glad I found the practice I did and hopefully I'll have a much better experience. Thanks all!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hyperstimulation is extremely common with inductions with Pitocin. I myself was hyperstimulated both times my first two labors because of Pitocin. Thankfully, the hyperstims went away went they turned down the Pit. But yes, what an awful experience it is. I am looking forward to being able to labor at home for a while this time around, so hopefully I can avoid Pit all together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.