Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
well you're doing it at the right time of year. I'd be scrubbing it with vinegar and leaving the windows down all of the time. Or if you need to keep the windows up at night, put a dishpan full of baking soda in there when you do it to soak up the smell. It really depends on how long it's been smoked in. You can probably make it tollerable.

-Heather

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
If you can rent an ozone machine, you can use that to clear the odor out. You turn the machine on in the car with the windows closed for awhile, then you have to open the car windows and air it out. Ozone can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Make sure you get specific directions.

One of our cars was treated with some chemical that smells of potpourri. We have had this car for two years now and it still smells of potpourri...and the chemical odor still bothers me. Maybe I should ozone that car. :LOL

( I drive the other car.)

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I
Febreeze! It works great on anything. Or you could try a vacuum/ carpet cleaner in one. We have one that has little attachments to use. Its like steam cleaning your carpets, but it takes a while to dry. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
as an X smoker (okay - I confess
: I do have a social cigarette ONCE and an while - never around the kids though - never ever!)

vinegar really really works. i used to do this in the winter in my apartment when i couldn't really open windows. i would put about a 1/4 cup of white vinegar in a glass dish and leave on the table. when i came home the smoke smell would be gone. the vinegar smell was there - but only for a short while.

i never tried baking soda but as an absorbant i am sure it works.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you ladies!

We really want this car since it has really low miles and is in great shape (per our mechanic) but I just could not get past the smoke smell.

Guess we'll be getting the car afterall.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
vinegar .. lots of vinegar. steam clean the seats, carpet and headliner with it too. and leave a small pouch of fresh coffee grinds under each seat when the car's closed up.

febreez works really well, too, for the smell, but won't get to the source of the stink, which is the tar lingering in the fabrics of the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.