Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so My friend wants to throow me a baby shower and I suggested a diaper shower. I want to cloth diaper this little one. DD is still in sposies as when i tried to switch (using those nasty eagle weave or whatever they are things) she rufused to use anything but sposies. It made me sad. So I am going in cloth with this one.

what's a good place to get started. I suppose I want a variety. and since it's a shower I will be asking for AIO. then i will just buy most of the pre folds myself. so AIO and covers. PLus if anyone has a good pattern so I can sew a few dipes myself. We are pretty broke so what I don't recieve at my "diaper shower" I will porbably make myself. Plus the prefolds too.

I started looking into cloth awhile back when I tried to get Jewely into them but i really remember nothing and would love some first hand experience.

Thanks

Courtney

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
What about fitteds? Here's a great thread where people rave about their favorite less-expensive, attainable fitted diapers. You can just use wool pants as a diaper cover when it gets cooler, and in the summer a wool soaker or soaker shorts makes a great outfit with a t-shirt and sandals, and you can find lots of wool at www.hyenacart.com

As for AIOs, Very Baby basic AIOs are simple and easy. Poke around these retailers for availability.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
What a great idea!!! A cloth diaper shower!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I LOVE the idea of a diaper shower!!!! I know a lot of the bigger online diaper stores have registries/wishlists so you may be able to register. And I know lots of stores have "fluff certificates" maybe you could ask for those. IMO I would ask/try to get as many different types of diapers out there so you can try a bunch, it's hard to just pick one type.
HTH
Heather

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am trying to make the shopping as easy as possible on the peole attending my diaper shower as none of them actually want to buy cloth diapers. They would rather buy outfits. So if anyone knows who has a registry that would be great b/c a lot of the smaller shops although great have limited stock that would probably change by the time they got there.

Thanks

Courtney

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
you may find that "readily available" aios and "favorites" around here tend to be mutually exclusive terms.
bumkins aios have a decent reputation and are widely available, but NOT generally recommended for exclusively breastfed newborns due the "blowouts" like you get in sposies. here is my bit of unsolicited advice
aios can be hard to get "right" in that if it's not a great fit or if you have a super heavy wetter they can leak. fitteds, or prefolds, and a separate covers tend to be more relaible for the general user. i wouldn't build a whole stash of aios for a nb, but that's jmho. and i may be biased as i haven't found a single aio that didn't leak on my second dd where my first could wear several. if i were in your shoes, i'd go to http://www.naturalbabies.com, http://www.diaperware.com or both and register for a variety of things. you'll probably want around 36 diapers for a newborn (say 24 fitteds/aios and 12 prefolds for "backup" in case you go through a lot in a day or can't wash quickly for some reason).

if you are looking for specific ideas here's what i'd ask for:
12 preemie prefolds (or infant size if you have big nbs)
6-12 kissaluv 0s
6-12 other fitteds (be careful of "one size" dipes on nbs unless you don't mind bulky or have really big babies)
6-12 preffiteds (http://www.growmearainbow.com no registry but i believe she's always open for orders)
6 aios (i'd try to get very baby aios, but i know what you're saying about them being gone by the time your friends get there. maybe have your friends get you everything else and you try to find 6 vb aios?!?)
6 covers (something like 2 proraps, 2 bummis, 2 bumpys (nb size runs BIG) or 6 of one kind)
consider 1-2 wool covers for night (aristocrats have a good rep)

i think a cloth diaper shower sounds like a lot of fun! hope it works out for you!!!

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok that is similair to what i was thinking

12-chinease prefolds
12-fitteds
6-AIO
6-Pockets Dipes
6-Covers
12?-Snappis

then with the doublers, stuffers, soakers I am counfused as to what to get.

I was thinking of maybe making a webpage, then I can put links to what I want, plus people could post what they had gotten b/c I know most of my friends are going to want to get the conventional stuff I want as opposed to the diapers. I don't actually know how to make a website but one of my coworkers said I should go to homestead.com and you can make one there.

Is this much diffrent then a registry do you think people will think it's tacky? I mean I wasn't going to have a shower at all, then my frined wanted to throw me one. I thought you weren't supposed to have two and she siad that of course I could. sorry off topic.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
natural babies is awesome it has a registry and Burt'sbees stuff which is the soap/shampoo I want. Thanks so much for the link.

I am so excited about cloth diapering. I was so intimidated with my daughter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am in the same boat as you I did disposables with my first dd and want to go cloth with this one. Luckily my parents are very supportive ( they cd me) but pretty much everyone else (including dh) thinks im crazy
I have actually heard of a diaper shower before (with disposables) but I love the idea of doind a cloth diaper shower after all you can get 1 or 2 cloth for the price of a pack so if everyone brings 1 or 2 you should have quite a stash. Im assuming you dont have a cd store near you you could set up some sort of registry as some people dont like buying things of the internet. So be sure and put in a phone number for those prople to call in an order. As for what to ask for I personally am going for a little of everything a few AIO a few prefolds a few fitted and a few pocket. The only thing that people consistantly say is to try out and see what works for you. Good Luck and it sounds like you got some great advice.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
you can also register at http://www.cottontailbaby.com/registry.php. I LOVE using fitteds and wool, and this site has both.

I used sposies and a few (horrid) gerber dipes and wraps on my 1st 2 kids. I am now so smitten by the CD bug, and I haven't touched a sposie is months!

Your friends may be suprised at the options that are available today once they start shopping.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Contact Andrea at www.babiesinthesun.com. She has lots of sample packs, can advise you about good packages, will arrange a registry (as well as lay-away if you need/want that), and is a very good resource of information.

She will price match, and she has amazing customer service.

Good luck mama! What a cool idea!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts