Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to CD but am not sure what to buy , I want to do prefolds with covers and use snappis... But how many should I get , I have a 5 month old I was thinking 3 dozen..also should I buy the ones you can get at Target or buy from a diaper service ? We are on a budget but I really want to get started .. I was also told that prowrap covers are pretty good.
Jenn

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you're on a budget, I would recommend buying from the diaper service. You'll get better diapers than what you would get from Target (seriously, don't use those, they are burp cloths).

How many you need depends on how often you plan to wash. With a 5 month old, I would guess that 3 dozen would get you through two, maybe three days, and you probably wouldn't want to go longer than that anyway. I wash daily, but I like having extras, because sometimes I don't get them done every day.

I have not used Prowrap covers, so I can't comment on those. I'm pretty sure you can get seconds somewhere and they are very inexpensive. You might want to start with just one or two to make sure they fit your baby well because some covers just fit better than others on different babies.

2 Snappis should be plenty and you might want to get some cloth wipes (a cheap pack of washcloths will work well for this).

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Definitely skip the ones from Target. There are lots of great places to order from online that have much better quality diapers. They'll last longer and are more absorbent than the ones you can get at Target.

I think 2-2 1/2 dozen prefolds and 6-8 covers would be plenty, but to help figure how many you need take the number of changes per day and then multiply by how many days you want to go between diaper wash. I recommend not going more than 2-3 days. Proraps and Bummis are both good reliable and durable workhorse covers. Maybe you could get some of both?

This place has free shipping on covers and orders over $75, and she has great prices too. http://www.nickisdiapers.com/

I'd get at least 2 Snappis, maybe even an extra one or two if you plan to keep one in the diaper bag.

This place has a good starter diaper package... http://stores.homestead.com/katieski...age/Detail.bok

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If you want to do prefolds skip the ones from Target, they are pure junk and I swear they are only sold to sabatouge people from trying cloth diapering.

You want a good quality prefold like chinese prefolds and indian prefolds. I have used prowrap covers with great success, actually those are my favorite covers next to nikky's.

If you want to wash every couple of days 3 dozen will be fine, but if you want to go a week you will need at least 5-6 dozen. I had about 6 covers and that seemed to be enough for 6 dozen prefolds. A lot of times I would just rinse the cover and keep reusing if I got low(on covers) and I wasn't close to wash day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.