Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd (2 1/2) is very willing to take naps, but ds always wakes up while I'm getting her to sleep and then she won't sleep. She only had a nap once in the last six days. The one day she did nap, it was for almost three hours! She is not very fussy w/o a nap so I almost feel like forgetting about pushing it, but I know she probably still needs it and I would love a break from her during the day!

Do you ladies have any tips? She is so distracted if the three of us lay down together, so that won't work.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I have sometimes gone for a walk & let my toddler sleep in the stroller or in the car.

I found my ds was so interested in the babe that he didn't nap much for about the first month. When the novelty of the new babe wore off a bit, he started to nap more. They do find new routines. It just takes a bit of time.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
This is my big fear when new baby arrives. Already dd is pushing the nap issue so I somehow expect it to get worse. I need my refuge in the afternoon. Please tell me she will still take her nap!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well, it all depends on who you and your children are and what you need, but here's what happened to us w/2 2 yrs apart.

We found that their napping cycles would go in phase for a while, then out of phase. I love my naptime too, so at times it was awful, but then it would come back in phase again, blissful.

If your older child doesn't really physically require a nap, you might still like to declare that it is "quiet time" with books, quiet toys, whatever, that way you get your break and avoid huge battles about sleeping or not sleeping.

One thing I wish we'd done differently was to let them get really familiar faster. #2 was too exciting for #1 to have around at sleeptime for a while, so we went with that, but in hindsight I would probably have just let them hang out and get used to each other more. Or at least tried it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.