Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my kids hate SA! I mix it into their juice, but they say it tastes bad and won't drink it! For DD I've been mixing vit (A,C,D) drops into her juice. I've got DS1 on 2-4,000 UI of Vit. D (2 usually, 4 when he's sick) But DS2, is BFing, with some solids(about 1x daily, except right now b/c he's sick)

So, is there some easy/tastey way to get them to take SA?
And what about the baby? how do I give it to him?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hylands make little tablets kind of like their teething tablets. I had to get them on line, but they are tiny and melt in their mouths right away. My son actually loves them. I think they taste a little odd, sort of salty-lemony?? but the kids don't mind cause they do melt so quickly. If you order them, make sure you get the Vit C that is SA cause I think they have tablets the are just Ascorbic acid too. My kids hate when I try to mix the powder into drinks too.......

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah ha, I always thought SA must be powder, interesting....
I'll hafta get some of those tab kind, thanks

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I mix the SA in with BM and give it via a syringe to my baby

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I would also suggest the bm and SA mix.

From what I've read, chewable C can corrode the enamel of the teeth.

Also if the mother takes the SA just prior to or while bfeeding, the milk will contain it.

That's all I know. We don't have the problem. My grandkids LOVE it. Can't understand why but all 3 do. When they have a little cough they go to their mom or me and ask for SA.

Oldest drinks it in water only. Younger two take it in juice (highly diluted) or with honey water...or in a pinch they'll take it with water.

But maybe we have just conditioned them to like it.

All 3 LOVE CLO. Go figure...

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I've found that if DD doesn't see me mix anything in to her drinks, she is much less likely to detect the taste. She doesn't mind the SA and will actually drink it in some water, but she doesn't care much for the Echinacea tincture.

Orange juice or lemonade works for us, as does mixing it into homemade yogurt with some agave nectar mixed in for sweetness. Sometimes I just put it into her morning smoothies. I've even sprinkled it over scrambled eggs and she ate it all up.

Often, the key is to not make a big production out of mixing stuff in, especially for older toddlers and children that might be picky with their food.

I'm wary of the chewable Vitamin C tablets with little ones, since their tooth enamel is so thin. If you do go that route, it is recommended that they rinse out their mouth really well afterwards.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Giving my son any type of vitamin is a total chore. The Hyland's vitamin C works well for us and that's all I need. He refuses liquid, powder, chewable, and things mixed in with other things. I'm just grateful the probiotic powder we use doesn't taste. Vitamins are a huge problem for me. Thank goodness Hyland's at least has these Vit C tablets that melt instantly...I wish they had a whole vitamin like that.

We've ordered CLO and haven't gotten it yet. I'm not looking forward to giving him that at ALL.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I give my DD magnesium ascorbate, which, from what I could tell from a link in the giant vitamin C thread, is comparable to sodium ascorbate (same dose for the same amount of powder, same buffered characteristic). (If you want more info on that, search for a post started by me with a rather obvious title about 6 months ago.) I chose it because I couldn't find SA here (in the Netherlands). Now I prefer it because it tastes WAY better. My DD would eat SA mixed in applesauce or smoothie, but I never liked it myself. I would mix it in orange juice for myself but found it rather terrible. The magnesium ascorbate, on the other hand, just tastes very sour, so added to orange juice it just makes it more tart and tastes fine.

When I needed more, I found it at tons of on-line American vitamin shops for about $8 per 8 oz. bottle, so it's not much more expensive than SA.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, lots of good & helpful ideas!
I think I'll try mixing w/ bm for the baby.
I'll just have to trial & error for my bigger kids.

I'm just curious why is SA superior to Vit.C?

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
Giving my son any type of vitamin is a total chore. ...
We've ordered CLO and haven't gotten it yet. I'm not looking forward to giving him that at ALL.
I have read that if a child has an aversion to any foods or pills, you do much more damage by forcing it on the child than if the child did not get it.
CLO is very hard to take if a child does not like it. Those who hate it tell horror stories about having to take it as a child and consequently not being able to eat any type of fish or sea food for the rest of their lives.

Suggestion: start out with a wee bit of it on a spoon. Just barely enough to give him a taste of it. Take it yourself at the same time. Make a game of it like: Hey, NOT BAD!
Don't increase that amount until he is used to it and actually starts to develop a liking for it. If he every vomits it up, I bet you will never get him to take it again. It will leave a miserable taste in his mouth.

I would not bother giving it to him if he does not comply the first few times. Then it's best you just take it yourself and comment about how strong you are getting from it...
Bribing or coercing is not fair either. Not when the taste is not to his linking at all.
Never give/take it on an empty stomach. He my keep burping it up, which is also very yucky.

Good luck!

To answer pp question: SA is a pure form of Vita C. Nothing else mixed in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the benefit to CLO?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
SA is a form of Vit. C
I know this, but why is it more recommended?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilpunkins View Post
I know this, but why is it more recommended?
Because to take the megadoses that are recommended, you need a buffered form of vitamin C. Ascorbic Acid, the one that you generally find on the shelf when you look at "vitamin C" is way too harsh.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilpunkins View Post
What is the benefit to CLO?
cod liver oil has pre-formed vitamin A (not beta-carotene which people have varying abilities to convert to A) and vitamin D, and has some DHA. I like it for my kids for all three.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.