Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My 20-year-old daughter with disabilities needs a gluten-free, casein-free, egg-free high protein meal replacement shake. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been making her shakes, but I'd like to purchase something ready-made for when I don't have time.</p>

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
<p>Is she only on liquids or does she do any solids?</p>
<p>You need fat as well as protein... There are rice protein powders that you can put in a shake. You can also put juices (like carrot and other veggies) in shakes. Some people put nuts in shakes to thicken them, if she can do shakes. And coconut milk is a good source of fats. Avocado is another healthy fat that thickens shakes.</p>

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Some days she does solids, other days I have to give her shakes through a gastrostomy tube. The shakes I make her are made with coconut milk, juice, avocado, banana and protein powder. Currently I'm using Spiru-tein protein powder or brown rice protein powder. I have to put SO much protein powder in her shakes to get her adequate protein. I was hoping to find something that I could use as a supplement to the shake I make, or just to have on hand for emergencies.</p>

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
<p>I think there is a brown rice based meal replacement drink from a company called Metagenics, but you may need a prescription for it.</p>
<br>

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Great. Thank you, I will check it out!</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts