Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm not sure where to post this, special needs? parenting?  here? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>DS was diagnosed with Asperger's in March.  We started the GFCF diet August 1st.   We had results after 3 days, he was like a neurotypical child for those 2 weeks. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>After that, all behaviors returned and have stayed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We've been very strict about contamination and hidden GFCF.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So I'm having a hard time staying on board with it now that we're months into this with no improvement.  DS continues to be easily frustrated, rages, meltdowns, no eye contact....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Today I realized that if I were to see some sudden changes in DS, I wouldn't know if he had naturally developed/matured or if the diet was helping.  I HATE the guessing games. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone have any insight?  I'm driving myself crazy keeping him on this diet that may or may not help him and then I'll be stuck guessing if it's even the diet doing anything for him....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hate sending him to school with his special foods each and evry day, I hate him havign to have his own cupcakes for all the birthday parties....I hate making him feel different. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If it were working and he were happier I'd be so for it, but this effort with no pay off ...</p>

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
<p>Well, at first blush, I would say that the elimination of the syptoms when first going GFCF is an indication that it's a good thing for him.  But the return of symptoms would also indicate that there's something else going on.  Have you tried eliminating any other factors?  Have you done a full elimination diet? </p>

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>No, no full elimination diet.  It's just not feasible at this point.  DS is 6, just started Kindergarten, a picky eater....   </p>

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
<p>Is is possible he's being exposed to gluten at school? My DS reacts very strongly to even small trace amounts of gluten, so we have to be diligent about everything he comes into contact with. Are they using play-dough at school, or giving him snacks you're not aware of?</p>

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>I do think it's possible.  They are using paper mache in a different class and I see those supplies all over the hallways.   Can't see how I can do anything about this?</p>

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
<p>First step is probably to talk to the school - his teacher or principal might not realize that what's going on might affect his behavior. GFCF is becoming fairly common, especially for ASD, but many people don't realize how widespread gluten and casein are in our foods and environment, and how careful a highly sensitive person needs to be to avoid them.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If it's not something at school, you might also look into nutrient deficiencies. I'm still new to all this and learning as I go, but I know magnesium, b12 and other deficiencies can all cause behavior issues, even in non-ASD kids. Check out Health & Healing and the Allergies forum for more info than you ever wanted. ;)</p>

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
<p>When you went GFCF did you start consuming a lot of something new?  When we went GFCF for ds's stomach issues, we started consuming a LOT of corn and rice and I broke out in eczema.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts