Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be taking a 4 day road trip soon and I am totally freaking out. We've stocked up on all the possible car foods. etc., but I am in my first trimester and have that awful starving/nauseous/everything is unappealing thing going on. I will be driving alone with my 2.5 year old and I am trying to research all the possible 'I need to pull over right this second and eat food' options, including (gasp) fast food options in case that is all there is. I have been researching and have come up with some possible options at: carl's jr, sonic, wendys--mostly meatless burgers. I know a l lot of people like Outback, but what else can you get there besides meat? Any other suggestions of places or food items? thanks!!!

· Registered
10,748 Posts
What are you avoiding again? Just gluten, caisen?
Outback has baked potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli. They also do chicken on the grill (are you vegetarian?).
Wendys also has baked potatoes I believe (of course the last time I ate there was... 20 years ago, so who knows).
Whole Foods?

· Registered
3,103 Posts
Noodles & Company
Chipotle
Pei Wei
P. F. Chang's

Definitely print out their menus so you can easily identify what you can eat.

· Premium Member
4,952 Posts
Chipotle - unless you're avoiding soy, which is in everything.
Wendy's potatoes
PF Changs is GREAT about printing out a menu with items that DON'T have your allergens in them....but if you have a lot of allergens, there will be nothing left on the menu except for lettuce wraps and plum sauce. Whether they will then make you a special meal is up to whoever the head chef on duty is.

Pilot truck stops (off every interstate exit around here) have microwaves in the store, so if you bring your own food or leftovers, you can warm them up there. (on your own, without having to ask someone to do it for you).

· Registered
1,081 Posts
Five Guys Burgers and Fries does not fry anything except french fries and are very conscientious about helping you avoid any other allergens. I believe they have a veggie burger, but I cannot speak to what it contains.

· Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! With the exception of wendy's and chilis I am not familiar with these places. Would they likely be found on the interstate? We'll be heading up 25 through Colorado and Wyoming. Do they have specific gluten-free items, or do they try to prevent cross-contamination? what makes them GF friendly? Does PF Changs have a lot of GF stuff?

· Registered
10,748 Posts
In whatever restaurant you go to, tell them your restrictions. On a lot of websites for the restaurants, you can see where they are. Cracker Barrel (an interstate favorite on the east coast, not sure where else they are) were good when I went there a couple of years ago. The waitress brought out various boxes so I could check the ingredients.

· Registered
3,103 Posts
Sorry, I can't help with any more details. I just remember them from when I was researching when we were "just" gfcf. Add corn, soy, and eggs to that and I don't think we can eat out anywhere except our local raw, vegan, gf restaurant! Like I said, I would print off their allergen charts or menus from online and circle the stuff that's safe for you, print off a map off their locations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.