Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--I need another nickel's worth of free advice from you kind and wise women.

In April, one of my closest friends lost her baby at about 14 weeks. That was her fourth lost pregnancy in 3 years. Based on your recommendations, I sent her a book about dealing with aftermath of such a heart-wrenching experience. (The title might have been "Empty cradle, empty arms" or something close to that.)

We're going to visit her next week, and I just realized that we will be there right around when her due date was. I know from her previous m/c's that the due date is a particularly hard time for her, which makes sense.

I would like to give her a little something to acknowledge the event and the sadness. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of giving her a comfort heart pillow like this one: http://www.massagemarket.com/Merchan...duct_Count=129 or this one http://www.babylosskit.com/healing_heart_hot_pack.html .

What do you think? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think your friend is truly blessed to have someone who loves her so much. A lot of people think that when the miscarriage is over, it's over. I am sure the due date will be equally as heartbreaking for her. She is a very lucky woman to have someone that remembers and shows her so much support. Bless you for your loving heart. I think that either of those gifts will be something she will cherish for the rest of her life. I hope all of us on here have such strong support systems for our grief.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You know your friend best. Personally, neither of those things would do much for *me*, but the thought behind them would mean the absolute world to me. A card saying that you are remembering her on that day and that if she wants to talk you are there for her would also mean the world.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Like the pps said, you are just an amazing friend for thinking of this. Really really sweet, even I am touched. I checked out the gifts and I kind of liked the candle that that second site had, but I am a sucker for candles and lighting them to carry prayers.
Whatever you do, you are awesome for just remembering and acknowledging your friend's losses.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I was just about to post asking the same thing. A close friend would have been due in the next week. It was her only pregnancy so far. I sent her an email the other day, just saying hi, do you think a card would be okay also?

-Angela

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Give her a tree she can plant (if she has any space to plant a tree.)

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
My friend is a ways away (in FL) and might be moving soon, though that is a sweet idea. hmmm, I wonder if I could come up with something else along those lines...

-Angela

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
There are several organizations and companies that make jewelry specifically geared toward pregnancy and infant loss. http://www.labelledame.com/ is one of my favorites. You may not be able to get it immediately and need to find something else for her in the interim, but speaking as a woman who has lost a baby, gifts like these that will allow her to honor and remember her little one will make her day just a bit brighter.

I must add that you are a fantastic friend to care so deeply for her. More people should have friends like you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your friend is blessed to have someone like you in her life. When our son's due date arrived some dear friends of ours brought us a rose bush to plant in his memory. I love that plant. I know your friend is far away and might be moving so maybe you can send her a nice house plant. That way she can take it with her plus when she looks at it she will remember how much you care for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts