Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend is having a high-risk pregnancy and has recently been put on bedrest. She lives about six hours away, and I'm 28 weeks pregnant, so I can't go out to see her. I'd like to send her a care package to help her get through the next six weeks or so. She and her spouse are students, so they don't have a lot of money for fluffy extras like the magazines and fancy chocolate I was planning to send.

Can any moms recommend good presents for someone on bedrest?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
What a great friend you are! Just some things that come to mind - Mothering magazine, if there are any magazines she likes relalting to interests she has, some really good novels, definately some decadent sweets, some peppermint foot cream (I love that when I am pregnant), aromatherapy candles, maybe a phone card - so she can talk long distance w/out worrying about the telephone bill. I am sure she will appreciate anything you send.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I like the previous suggestions alot but what about some items to teach her how to knit or crochet (if she doesn't know how already)? Since I'm a knitter(or at least try to be
) I'm going to suggest maaybe a good knitting basics book such as "Stitch and Bitch", some nice soft baby yarn, knitting needles and a book with baby pattern stuff? I know that I got bored really fast being on just modified bedrest, so I wonder if some sort of project would help pass the time? I definitely like the phone card, novels, chocolates and foot cream ideas.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A faraway friend sent me an Amazon.com gift certificate so I could order a few books and have them delivered.

Gift certificates for takeout in their area.

Pay someone to clean the house right before the baby is due.

A subscription to Netflix.

DH bought me a Palm so I could read my email. I didn't have a laptop at the time.

An MP3 player.

Kimberly

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I would love stuff to do and read...books and magazines, crossword or other puzzle books, even those "Yes and Know" books with the "magic" markers! If she's into crafts (or just bored!) you could get her a cross-stitch set, a drawing pad and some great colored pencils or cray-pas or something like that. Maybe some good herbal teas (or a mama's tea). Fuzzy slippers.

·
Registered
985 Posts
You are such a good friend
! I am on bedrest and I guess it's subjective BUT I don't have access to a tv so books of any kind have saved my soul!!! Plus as someone else suggested if your friend knits or crochets...maybe send her some patterns and yarn? I've been crocheting an afghan for my son...it'll be about a mile long by the time I have this baby
! Another goody is anything aroma therapy related...like a scented soap, or one of those little scented pillows...anything to brighten your friends surroundings!

Anne

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
When I was on bedrest, I had to spend most of my time lying on my side, so it was really hard to knit or crochet, but something like cross stitch was great to pass the time. And books, magazines, and DVDs of any kind were the like salvation, especially books about motherhood and babies-- they helped keep me focused on the reason I was putting myself through what often, at the time, seemed like misery. I like the Netflix idea! And if your friend has access to the Internet, gift certificates for online shopping are great. It was really frustrating to me not to be able to go and shop for things for the baby and for nursing bras, etc.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
When I was on my 9 wks of dreaded side lying bed rest, I did a lot of reading. Great to start her on Mothering Mag. Maybe a nice journal so she can write to her unborn dc. A nice water bottle that can be thrown around and won't leak. Maybe a nice tote so she can store all her goodies.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
There are some great ideas on this thread already!
Loving it!!

I know that I tried to knit, and it just wasn't working. I just got frustrated and gave away the knitting needles that I had. Maybe you could get her a tackle box and a bunch of cool beads, some elastic string, hemp, those metal coils, etc. and she can make some jewelry. I know that I love beads, and doing that makes me very happy.

Send her some hard candy in addition to the chocolate. Pepermint oil helps stomach upset (I've got plenty of stomach upset right now) so that might help her out. Some teas, honey, and stuff like that.

Burn her copies of some of your favorite CDs, or a gift certificate to a place that delivers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm on bedrest and a friend is sending me a bunch of makeup - she works for Clinique. I don't ordinarily wear any, but I thought it would be fun to play
. I've also appreciated craft stuff and books. I wouldn't like sweets, though - I feel fat enough just lying around all day!

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
1. World of Warcraft. I know... I know, sounds odd, but the game is AMAZING, best vdeo game EVER. While I no longer play it (it's addictive like crack so I had to actually cancel my account or my house would never get clean) I would highly reccomend it for somebody with a lot of spare time on their hands.

2. Gameboy/portable PS games and whatnot

3. Scrapbooking stuff

Some good books... what is she like? I will list my fav books of all time:

1. A Song of Fire and Ice Series (4 books including A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows) by George R. R. Martin (book 5 is due out in a week.)

2. My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok

3. Aztec by Gary Jennings

4. Vampire Chronicles (4 books including Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the body Thief) by Anne Rice

·
Registered
977 Posts
If your friend has any interest in drawing (regardless of whether she thinks she has any talent for drawing), I'd highly recommend getting her the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards, a drawing pad, pencils, and kneaded eraser. (You can look not too far into the book to see what tools are required to do the exercises.) The book teaches anyone how to draw well. And I do mean anyone! It's a series of information and exercises that can be taught in a 5 day workshop, but I worked my way through the book (over the course of a year, actually) and was amazed at what I could do afterwards. It's really cool! (And it'll keep her busy for a while, then with her new-found drawing talents, she'll be busy creating beautiful drawings after getting done with the book.)

Also, a few books that I love:

"A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole (funniest book I've ever read, very good writing)

A series of very funny and very well-written books by Van Reid:
"Cordelia Underwood"
"Mollie Peer"
"Daniel Plainway"
"Mrs. Roberto"

Gotta run! Bedtime!! If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

HTH!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.