Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of my friends have gotten gifts for the older sibling supposedly from the new sibling. Anyone planning on doing this? I haven't really thought about it until now & am not sure how I feel about it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I saw this under "new posts." When I had my second child, in January 2005, I bought her older sister a gift from the baby. She was 3.5 years old and there was a baby doll she wanted -- perfect. She was so impressed and in love with her new sister she barely looked at the doll. LOL She plays with it now of course but nothing can compare with that new baby! I will say, it was nice to have something just in case we needed a distraction.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've heard of the same thing and have gone back and forth on the issue. With the time of year that it is, it kind of seems like gift overload, but at the same time I understand the "thought" behind it. I'm curious to read what others have done and think about it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought some Jay-Jay the Jet Plane characters to keep on stand-by just in case we need to give them to him "from her". I'll just see how he reacts and if he needs a little extra attention, we'll give them to him. I have friends also that have used a gift when they bring home the baby and had good reactions from the older child. I think our son will be fine - he is quite the little helper.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
We will be giving DD something, despite the fact that her birthday is Feb. 10th and we will have just passed Christmas! I still have the doll, Bethy, that I got when my brother was born. I slept with her until I was in high school! I am pretty sure we will give her another baby doll (she only has about a million) and it's own car seat. I have a friend who bought a basket full of dollar store toys that they wrapped and had on hand if guests came w/o a gift for the toddler. I don't think we will go that far, but it does remind me to remind the adults that are important to her to be aware of her needs, etc.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have a friend who gave her dd's a doll, with a diaperbag filled with diapers, and a carseat when she had her next daughter's (so each daughter got one when the other was born, she has three). Anyway, it wasn't so much as a gift from the baby as a gift from the whole family and she swore that it was wonderful.
Not sure what we will do exactly, but I plan on getting dd something. Same as a pp, even though the holidays are past and her birthday will be Feb 15th, I want her to have something special too (besides her baby brother of course
).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My thoughts were leaning against it, but I think it's because I feel really overwhelmed with "stuff" right now between moving things around in closets to make room for diapers and baby clothes and knowing Christmas is coming- then her birthday in February. I was thinking more along the lines of the practical- a couple of small things to keep until I'm in labor and given not as gifts from the baby, but things to keep her busy when I need her to be
I'm not sure how she's going to react to me leaving to go to the hospital & may want to come with us (which is fine), but will need something to occupy her there other than worrying over me.

I also notice that dolls are a popular choice for gifts & she's not a doll kid. She has a few, they get played with sporadically, but not with any great attachment to them. As for people bringing gifts for the baby, I think she'll be just as fascinated with trying the gifts out as anything. I'm also hoping that any gifts brought are of the edible nature!

·
Registered
489 Posts
We bought dd a doll last year when ds was born... and that was 5 days before Christmas!!

Funny thing was that she was more interested in the new baby then a new doll... To this day she still hasn't attached herself to it... So we aren't doing anything special this time..

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yes, we will have things wrapped up at the hospital "from Baby Isaac".

In our situation, grandparents will be bringing the older siblings to visit us in the hospital. Our experience with Aidan was that he took a little bit to warm up to the idea of looking at and holding the baby (he was 3 1/2), but boy was he excited about his new Buzz Lightyear spaceship! And that kept him occupied while I visited with my parents, and they visited with the baby.

Another idea I just remembered: We had Aidan pack a backpack of things to take to the hospital with him for his visits. We made sure that he was an active part of deciding what to put in there, and actually packing it. This was another thing that was helpful! He put in a video, some "special" snacks, crayons, etc. etc.

I can say since I've BTDT at Christmas-time already, that it doesn't really matter whether they've just been overloaded with toys... the idea is something that you either know they really want, or something that you know they'll really love - something special - just to make the transition a little bit easier, and take their mind off what is really going on.

I also agree that having some dollar-store gifts around for when people bring things for the baby, is a great idea. Some people think ahead and will bring something for the older sibling - but not always.

Thanks for bringing up this subject! I hadn't really thought about it yet. I'll add it to the mountain of things "to do" before the baby comes!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I like the idea of dd getting a gift from baby.
I am going to get her a sling that she can use to carry her dolls or stuffed animals in. I am also going to have her pick out a gift that she can give the baby when he/she is born. She also likes the idea that she can do things that the baby will not be able to do yet. I was thinking of baking a cake for us to have after the birth. That way we can all celebrate the new baby but I think it will also be special for dd since the baby won't be able to eat the cake and she will..

·
Registered
192 Posts
You read my mind! I was just logging on to post this question.
Appreciate the DS ideas, mine will be 4 when dd arrives... Still can't think of what to get for him (he has a Nov. bday & then xmas, and then baby! Ugh!)

FYI, i still have the stuffed monkey "Zippy" that I got when my sis was born 32 y ago when I was 2. Now my ds sleeps w/it. So, I'm in the camp of definitely getting something.

My ds is going to pick out something special & soft for the baby too.

For older kids, how about a disposable camera & album?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think it's kind of hokey -- newborn babies have no ability to conceptualize the desire to give a gift, and I have no interest in pretending to my older child that the newborn has capabilities that he or she just plain doesn't have.

I'm more interested in making sure that she has plenty of things to do, like swimming lessons with dad, continued participation in her regular playgroups, time with grandma and grandpa, etc. so that having a new baby in the house doesn't overwhelm her world.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewEyes View Post
For older kids, how about a disposable camera & album?
I do like this idea. We have an old digital camera that dd likes to take pictures with, so this may be a better fit for us than yet another toy at an already toy overloaded time of year. I don't have anything that was given to me as a new sibling and don't really feel like my life is any worse for it.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Not in your DDC, but we got DD1 a doll sling when DD2 was born. I'm using the same Maya Wrap for DD2 that I did for DD1, and I was concerned that she would feel bad about Baby using "her" sling, so I got a doll Maya in the same color. She was so thrilled that our slings matched & she enjoyed getting something while we were opening all of Baby's presents.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I like all the ideas I have read. We are probably going to get a nice animal doll for DS, not necassarily "from the baby," but from us in celebration. I am going to pick an animal that can be diapered and slinged (not that he doesn't already sling Buzz Lightyear!!
) and is similar in size to Baby. DS pretends he has a baby in his belly, so that should be a pretty good plan.

BTW, my DS will be 3.75 when Baby arrives.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts