Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, we are thinking of moving back to where I went to college--can anyone give me a perspective on family raising there? co-op options, schooling, cost of living--any info is a blessing<br><br>
Also, any need for a Deadhead taqueria in the college area???

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Which college did you go to? Dh went to Hampshire.<br><br>
We just moved here in May and I LOVE it. We joined an organic farm CSA and get awesome veges. Bread and Circus is still here, and a Trader Joes is being built as we speak, right in front of the Hampshire Mall on Rt. 9--it opens next month.<br><br>
For kids: the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art opened in November and we love it! It has a gallery, library with story hours, a kid art studio where they can do various projects, etc. The parks are quite family friendly, I think, with splash pools in the summer, and bathroom (gross, but better than nothing) close to the play areas.<br><br>
The bike trail from Northampton to Belchertown is great. In South Deerfield there's Mount Sugarloaf for hiking/viewing, the Butterfly Gardens, and a Dinosaur and Mining shop where kids can pan for gemstones and play with fake dinosaurs and fossils. There's the Hitchcock center for environmental learning, and the Amherst Jones Library is awesome for kids--a big play area with trains, good reading times, and a great selection of books. And a bathroom with a changing table in the children's area!<br><br>
Cost of living: not sure where you're coming from, but we think it's ok (we came from closer to Boston). You can get a 2br apartment in a complex for around $800-900 (and non-complex places for even less) and the bus system is awesome.<br><br>
Schooling: We moved here for the Montessori school for our sons. There's Waldorf from preschool up to HIGH SCHOOL, a bunch of other good private and public school as well. There's also a high school homeschooling center in Hadley.<br><br>
Deadhead taqueria? Not sure. But we LOVE Amherst!!!! DH said he never imagined he'd come back after 20 years (went to Hampshire 83-87) and he never knew how great it is for kids.<br><br>
AWESOME coffeeshops, microbreweries, and restaurants, too!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts