Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any homemade root/ginger beer makers? What do you store your concoctions in?<br><br>
I am trying out the ginger beer recipe in Nourishing Traditions and am almost at the point of bottling it. I was planning on just using canning jars but a friend suggested champagne bottles. He said that homemade soda/beers are notourious for exploding and canning jars weren't a good idea. My DH suggested re-using these nice olive oil jars w/ cork lids that we have. They are small enough for about 2-3 servings a piece which would be nice.<br><br>
Anyway, what do you use?<br><br>
And most importantly of all - did your ginger beer come out good?<br><br>
Thanks all!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I put mine in old Pellegrino bottles. Seems to work fine. Yes, the ginger beer came out prettty good, although the little grains seemed to eat up all of the sweetness, as it is very dry and not sweet at all. My grains like quadrupled from eating all the muscovado sugar (like rapadura). It is very strong, so I usually mix it with a bit of peach/apple cider that has been kefired as well. The peach/ginger is wonderful.

·
Registered
468 Posts
We used glass bottles with wire stoppers.<br><br>
The health food store had some type of lemonade that was in these type of bottle and we bought it for the bottles. It was cheaper than the source of empty wire stopper bottles we found.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I use those, too! I just love the bottles, though the lemonade I bought had sugar in it, I justified buying it for the bottles! LOL They are a little more difficult to open than the pellegrino bottles, but are cooler! I bought a case of pellegrino at costco cheap, so I have more of those bottles, with only two of the pretty ones with the wire stoppers.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you know any beer drinkers who drink Grolsch, you could have them save the bottles for you (rubber stopper with wire over them).<br><br>
I haven't done ginger beer yet but when I do root beer, I save beer bottles, wash them in the dishwasher, and I have a bottle capper and bottle caps that I use to close them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts