Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone has tried to put gingerbread cookie dough in a cookie press? I was thinking of trying it, but thought maybe someone has experience and could save me from a possible disaster

· Registered
3,368 Posts
I haven't but hoping someone can answer! DS and I are thinking of baking gingerbread cookies for his class this week and this would be so much quicker! Anyone?

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Have you already made the dough? If not, I'd try something like this (from christmas-cookies.com).

Gingerbread Spritz
Makes about 48

1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large mixing bowl beat together butter, molasses and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until well blended. Set aside. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Stir into creamed mixture until well blended. Divide dough into fourths. Place 1/4 of dough in a cookie press and press out cookies onto ungreased baking sheet (for best results, use a shiny silver baking sheet and not the kind witha non-stick coating). Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until set, but not brown. Allow to cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then remove to wire racks to cool. If desired, decorate with Royal Icing.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Molck View Post
Have you already made the dough? If not, I'd try something like this (from christmas-cookies.com).

Gingerbread Spritz
Makes about 48

1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large mixing bowl beat together butter, molasses and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until well blended. Set aside. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Stir into creamed mixture until well blended. Divide dough into fourths. Place 1/4 of dough in a cookie press and press out cookies onto ungreased baking sheet (for best results, use a shiny silver baking sheet and not the kind witha non-stick coating). Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until set, but not brown. Allow to cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then remove to wire racks to cool. If desired, decorate with Royal Icing.
I would recommend this, as well. Regular gingerbread cookie dough would be too thick/stiff, I think.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post
We are vegan so can I use the usual substitutions for the egg and butter?
That's so funny-- we are too. I started doing the veganization then realized this wasn't on the veg forum and deleted it.

Yeah, I'd do your usual sub for the butter. For the egg, I think ener-g or tapioca starch would work best for the press. I usually do flax eggs or maybe tofu, but I don't think they'd work as well here. You might be able to get away with just omitting it since there are plenty of cookie-press recipes that are 'naturally' (sorry, not quite the right word choice
) egg-free, though you'd have to adjust the other ingredients to get the right balance.

Good luck!

· Registered
382 Posts
So i just made this recipe and it is so good! i wanted to make some cookies and saw it. I used my Mirro cookie press and made camels and trees. woohoo- christmas cookies!
:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.