Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure dd is ADHD inattentive. She's smart, but very 'spacey' and has trouble staying focused enough to even write 8 spelling sentences (she's in 3rd grade). When asked to compete a task (brush her hair; find and put on her shoes; get dressed; set the table, etc....) she often (almost always) needs to be prodded and will often end up just standing in another room staring and not knowing what to do next. She often doodles in the margins rather than starting/doing her schoolwork or homework. When reading a book, however, she can focus for hours and often reads in bed before she goes to bed and when she wakes up. She also often (daily) forgets and/or loses items for school--homework; lunchbox; mittens; shoes, etc...
Anyway, does anyone have any ideas/coping mechanisms that have worked for them?? We did just start a schedule for a weekday morning & afternoon/evening program (awake @ 7:00am; dressed by 7:20; shoes and hair by 7:45; breakfast @ 8:00am, etc) and this really seems to work for her. We asked her if she thought it would work, and if the times seemed ok to her and she agreed and has been doing well with this. She is an oldest and is typically compliant and wanting to please and be the 'good girl', so I'm pretty sure this isn't any defiant behavior. It took her 45 mins to get the first 2 sentences done on her spelling homework in a place with no distractions and me nearby for help when needed.
: She was constantly drawing in the margins and forgetting to even think of sentences for her words. It is also not new behavior, but it seems to be coming out more as she gets older and school is requiring more focus. Her teacher (and we) knows that the second she has any time she can be found reading and that she'd keep her nose in a book all day if allowed (I can't believe I'm complaining about this!!) I was an avid reader as a child and lost hours and hours of sleep because of it!!! She is not reading late into the night though--we've been checking--and mostly gets enough sleep.
There's more, but I'll not go on for now. Any suggestions for homework focus and task focus etc??
Thanks, Kelso

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You are discribing myself at that age, and my now 10 year old boy at that age. His is Dx'd as ADHD, non attentive. We are on meds now, but come summer the two of us will both do bio-feedback to see if that helps.

Things that help us stay on task... lists, organization.

Good luck... the ADHD non attentives tend to read all night if you let them.. it is impossible to shut the brain down.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Fish oil works wonders for my daughter. She has been taking it for 4 years now. When she doesn't take it for a few days, you can really see the difference. She gets really hyper and inattentive.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
wow I could have written the same post about my own 8 yo dd. The only thing that has helped dramatically was taking her to a classical homeopath and giving her the recommended remedy. The changes have been amazing.
You can find one near you by following this link...be sure they practice classical homeopathy
HTH

http://www.homeopathic.org/find.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.