Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not exactly sure what is going on but my 7 month old dd has recently started to grab at her diaper area as soon as it is off, or even before it is off (around the thighs). She does damage very quickly, even though I try to keep her nails trimmed-- and seems a bit distressed about it.<br><br>
I've noticed she's got some dry skin not surprising considering it is winter-- and recently had some rash that we've gotten rid of-- it was more like she'd gotten wind rash on her bum than a diaper rash, though. So its been a while that shes done this and we've gotten the dry skin under control and she's still doing it, even more.<br><br>
She does seem (as my son did) very sensitive to wet diapers- we EC so she's out of them quick but still can easily get irritated. I have a hard time using anythign but fleece pockets because normal prefolds etc do tend to irritate her more.<br><br>
For wipes I try to use cloth and water or a mild foaming wipe solution (water, candula oil, tiny bit california baby soap) but I mostly just use paper towels soaked in plain water or rinse her off in the sink- even following a pee in the prefolds as leaving the pee on seems to make things worse...<br><br>
I just got some california baby lotion to use as I had tried some olive oil or candula oil but wanted to try somethign that wasn't so messy to the dipes.<br><br>
I'd rather not be telling her no and removing her hand but she has already scratched and made herself bleed and I don't really think that she is try to explore just trying to scratch which makes me think that's not good-- but she doesn't have any redness or pain urinating?<br><br>
Ah, girls are so much harder than boys.<br><br>
I was trying to avoid another trip to the ped, I might take her to the naturalpath... I'll have to check to see if she might have an idea first.<br><br>
Any suggestions/ideas.<br>
Jessica

·
Registered
178 Posts
Could it be a yeast infection?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe, she doesn't have any clear signs of anything, no redness. dooesnt seem to hurt to pee<br>
Jessica

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Maybe it's normally later than that, but don't all babies go through a phase where they "find" their genitals and want to fiddle with them whenever they're available? I wonder if it's just normal development.<br><br>
DD manages to scratch her face pretty regularly, so I don't know that itching/scratching are a sign that she is actually itchy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts