Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think? I have recently gotten more into taking a good multi for myself and trying to get dh to take one, so now i am thinking ds should take one too? I can't decide, is it really needed? His diet isn't really bad although some days it can be like when at parties etc, but he likes fruits and veggies, but we aren't big on meat/dairy here, so those are the vitamins that he could be deficient in. HE is healthy and growing well. I was thinking about getting him the rainbow light children's multi ( i just discovered rainbow light for myself and don't plan to take anything else from now on) advice please!<br><br>
TIA

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I think today everybody young and old should take a multi (at least). The food today is not like it was years ago. It is chemically laden and irradiated and it depleted of nutrients. Even organic foods, while better in terms of the chemical load, are not as nutritious as they used to be because the soil in which they are grown is also depleted of minerals etc.<br><br>
My DS is 2. He has taken a multi (plus a bunch of other supps) for quite some time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I give my 2.5 yr old 1/2 a gummy vitamin about twice a week. She also eats a healthy diet.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I'm wondering where he's getting his protein?<br><br>
You can, sure.<br><br>
Minerals block absorption of each other so putting them altogether in one pill doesn't make sense. But you're going to get some of something and you'll get the vitamins involved. So it isn't going to hurt.<br><br>
For my kids I supplement what they need on it's own. In your child's case I would be concerned you've got deficiencies depending on how restricted he really is. Does he have good zinc sources? Lots of kids are zinc deficient. What is his calcium source? Iron is another issue unless he's getting that via fortified foods. If he's eating fortified foods he's probably getting a variety of things from them-sort of like a multi.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we aren't vegan/vegetarian, but we don't eat meat everyday. I try to avoid dairy myself and ds was never a big cow's milk fan, so we don't buy cow's milk much but ds does get a serving or two of eggs, yogurt or cheese everyday. He loves to eat fruits and veggies, and we eat lots of plant proteins like nuts, beans, peas, etc. I am trying to make it a habit of cooking up some chicken once a week per dh and ds's request and they will have that for a few meals a week. What are zinc sources? meat, eggs?<br><br>
example of what ds eats in a day: breakfast: yogurt and blueberries<br><br>
lunch: salad, peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on whole wheat, apples, water<br><br>
snack: crackers, carrots, almond milk or soy milk or juice<br><br>
dinner: egg curry with homemade roti's and water or almond milk.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I personally wouldn't only because I don't believe synthetic vitamins are healthy for anyone especially young children. Plus your body doesn't really absorb most of it anyways. Organic whole foods if possible (I know it's expensive) are better choices than synthetic vitamins unless your children are really nutritionally deprived.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts