Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a birth story from an aquaintance on another board. Could this whole scenario have been avoided?

I posted last week that I was going in Wednesday night (8-27) to be induced........and so I did, but things did not go exactly as planned.

There were several medical reasons the Dr. wanted to induce me this time, so Wednesday evening I headed in to the hospital to have them apply gel to my cervix to soften it. I had some contractions....nothing major....from the gel and dialated to 2 cm. The next morning they started the pit and broke my water. Usually I go VERY fast after my water breaks, but I was still at 2 cm an hour later and the contractions were getting more intense, still at 2 cm the next hour.....finally around 10 am the contractions were coming like I was in transition, but still at 2 cm. At about 10 minutes to 2 the Dr. checked me again and I had dialated to 4 and was going to put an internal monitor on because the baby's heartbeat was going down with each contraction and the external monitor would lose it quite frequently. Just as she was trying to feel the top of her head, she felt her face....she was coming down the birth canal face first! No wonder I wasn't dialating. The next thing she felt was the cord.....it was prolapsed and with each contraction her oxygen level was being cut off.

The next part got a little crazy. The Dr. hit the nurse button on my bed and yelled she needed help in here NOW! and then yelled prolapsed cord. She then leaned up to my ear and gently told me we were going to need to do an emergency section. The whole time she was pushing the baby back up the birth canal. Immediately a nurse came in to relieve the Dr. and they both were pushing the baby back up. They covered the nurse on the bed with me with a sheet and started racing down to the OR. They had to move me across to the operating table with the nurse still holding the baby up off the cord, applied general anthesia to me and she was born in less that 5 minutes of them finding the prolapsed cord. It was like something out of a movie.

So needless to say recovery has been a little slow on my end. Not only was I healing from the section, but I also had bruised ribs from the nurses pushing the baby out to the Dr., it hurt to breath for a couple days. I also had bruised shoulder blades and under my arms from being wrentched across to the operating table. As my Dr. told me.....they aren't as gentle with an emergency.....which was fine with me, just took me a little bit to get over that.

My dh was talking to my dr. afterwards and mentioned that things got a little crazy that afternoon and she told him it doesn't get any more of an emergency than that. All I can say is I am so thankful I was induced, that the Dr. found the cord when she did and that I was not at home when that happened.....we would have probably lost her.

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, she was in a hospital and not with a midwife so perhaps the Dr wasn't familar with other methods to help her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.