Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a laugh in the mail today. I had never received an immunization schedule from my insurance company before... until today! I would have trashed it right away, but after seeing past immunization brochures in Just a Little Prick, I decided to read it.

The big push was varicella (hence the title)

Here is their big line: "More deaths occur from chickenpox complications than any other disease that has a recommended vaccine."

So I think to myself, If the most people die from chicken pox and I am not worried about chicken pox, then obviously I don't have to worry about the others, either!
I am sure that wasn't their intent but that is sure what it sounded like to me!

It also states that 90% of unvaccinated kids will get cp by the time they are 15... that seems high these days, but I hope my kids get it by then.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dot
Here is their big line: "More deaths occur from chickenpox complications than any other disease that has a recommended vaccine."

From the CDC:

1999: 48 deaths
2000: 44 deaths
2001: 26 deaths
2002: 32 deaths

That has to be the lamest vax "promo" I've ever heard.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

It also states that 90% of unvaccinated kids will get cp by the time they are 15

Which they will catch from the vaccinated kids!!!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'd like to know how many of those chickenpox deaths were really due to acetaminophin and ibuprofin poisoning!

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
I'd like to know how many of those chickenpox deaths were really due to acetaminophin and ibuprofin poisoning!
A search at the CDC will reveal that many varicella deaths include individuals with asthma and/or taking steriods or other immunosuppressive drugs . . . in addition to diabetes and other conditions.

When the CDC "promotes" varicella deaths, they also imply that these deaths occur in children . . . defintely not the case.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
when you said CP I read Cerebral Palsey- Now THAT would be some claim!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
That has to be the lamest vax "promo" I've ever heard.
That is what I thought... they must really be reaching to convince people that this vax is "needed." It is interesting when you look at the numbers, isn't it? Wonder why those weren't included on my little informative card?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:
That, along with the CDC data, is going in my file of "Things to say to people who lecture me for not vaxing."

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Wonder why those weren't included on my little informative card?

You have to see the varicella VIS the peds have to hand out to parents at their WBV.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I used to get a once a month schedue in the mail.
I ripped it to shreds, put it back in the envelope and stuck my label in with "take me off your list"
Have only received a "post-birth" survey since!!

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Aren't vaxes a "childhood tradition?" How about we skip that one?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm
Aren't vaxes a "childhood tradition?" How about we skip that one?
Funny,
that is what I thought the post would be before I opened it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts