Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to giving my DS antibiotics. He's had a fever for 4 days and despite garlic, cranberry, and some other natural remedies, the fever isn't coming down. Today he had white blood cells in his urine, so presumably he has a UTI. The concern is that it has been going on for so long that it will damage his kidneys. He had been constipated so perhaps this is the root of the UTI. So before I put antibiotics into him, any other suggestions? And if I do give him antibiotics, how can I make them as gentle as possible on him? I know to give probiotics, but what else? He's still mostly breastfed, not into solids at all. I really hesitate to do this to his gut, but I also know a kidney infection is not something to mess around with. He had antibiotics through breastmilk at birth but none since.

Suggestions, please!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out it was a UTI, the culture showed e. coli concentration > 100,000. We gave him antibiotics and probiotics and just hope there's no damage from either the UTI or the antbiotics we gave him. Been away from the computer until today. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Dd had a UTI at 11 months. It was HORRIBLE. She ran the high fever for four days and then cultured her urine. Within 24 hours of the first dose of antibiotics she was so much better. She did have loose stools for about 2 weeks from the meds though. The ped did have us schedule a VCUG and renal ultrasound when she was fully recovered to determine if there was any kidney involvement or damage. Thankfully it was fine.

I hope your little one is feeling better soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.