Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,385 Posts
Hmmm...

I am not sure what to think of it.

There are some parts that bug me. For a while now, women have been categorized ONLY by their accomplishments outside the home, so to celebrate being a mother is a good thing in my mind. Too often SAHMs get dismissed as part of society. This article seems to think that is bad for women. I disagree. I think that only when SAHMs have just as respected a place as a journalist or whatever, then women will be doing well.

As for baby-mania...well, yeah it bugged the hell out of me. But all the celeb crap bugged the hell out of me.

I dunno, I have to let it digest more. I wish it had gone more into the feelings, the struggles as opposed to the sound bites it offered. I can read between the lines because I have been there - but someone who hasn't might not get it from this article. It might seem like people were pissed because they didn't get to buy the uber expensive stroller...you know?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Adina, ohh I have to pm you.

Anyway yeah I'm sticking mostly with the baby mania part and not anyone's personal feelings on sahms.
I definately know the feeling of breaking down when a celeb breaks their wonderful news, I think for me it was Britney who just sent me over, well that and the clomood I was on

I guess I just look at it as ohh I know that feeling, and leave the rest, plus I like that it's Glamour, the dirty little secret that is IF is finally coming out

maybe someone's co worker who never quite got it won't be so fast with their "advice" the next time, that type of thinking

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well, for a mainstream article, I think it went pretty far into the feelings that infertile women and couples experience, especially considering what a taboo topic this seems to be. I see that as a pretty major accomplishment, esp. since I STILL get shocked and surprised looks and people changing the subject when I bring up our IF for the first time.

Like you, Alisa, I do resent the paragraphs that seem to criticize women for holding motherhood as a place above all else. Being a SAHM is far more challenging than going out to work every day, IMO.

Karija, the Britney Spears thing sent me over the edge too, and I wasn't even on Clomid.

·
Premium Member
24,385 Posts
Yeah - I am pretty sure if you search the TTC board you will see my feelings regarding Britney Spears getting preggo. I believe it involved "high powered rifle" and "clock tower".

As far as a mainstream article - it was good. It is at least beginning the dialogue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.