Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have had to supplement since my son was 5 days old due to a variety of issues. We have found that bottkes work best for us and we like Avent. But recenty, we've been talking about wanting to try glass bottles to avoid leaching toxins into his food. The only ones i have been able to find online are made by Evenflo. Has anybody used these? What do you think of the nipples? Do they cause nipple confusion? Does anyone know of any other brands selling glass bottles?

Thanks,
Janine

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
you can always use differnt nipples and collars. I always toss the nipples that come with bottles (unless they're avent etc).

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
We used the evenflow bottles and they were great but alas, the nipples are awful. I think that either playtex or evenflow does make a wide base silicone nipple but none the local stores carried the slow flow version.

Ultimately, I settled on the walmart generic wide base silicone nipples in the slow flow size. I probably spent something like $30 experimenting with different nipple types, it was a huge PITA. I do feel really good about making the change to glass though, in addition to aleving my fears about plastic leaching issues, glass is way easier to clean.

Also the rings that come with the eveflow bottles are really wimpy, I broke a few and called the company, fibbed a bit and claimed that I was using the nipples that came with the bottles, and they replaced the rings free with their standard heavy duty rings.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I would just buy a different nipple that fit onto the bottle. Lansinoh used to make glass bottles but they didn't even come with nipples so you'd have to buy seperate nipples anyway. (I think Lansinoh bottles are only available in the UK now, but I could be wrong about that.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Evenflo does sell an Ortho "Slow-Flow" Silicone Nipple. I just ordered the glass bottles with them...no baby, yet, and we won't use them for the first 5-6 weeks. I have a friend who used these, though, with the glass bottles and she had no compaints.

Good luck! And feel free to report (so I'll know what to expect next month!

-Heidi

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I use the Evenflo glass for donating milk. I have quite the collection and I love them. DH uses them when DD needs a bottle while I'm in class (now she rarely needs one--we just nurse before and after). The nipples on them are pretty gross. We use the nipples that came with the Dr. Brown's bottles we initially used when I was in class. They work fine.

I have also not been able to find any other brand of glass bottles. FYI: they sell them at BRU and although they are not the best price, I found shipping was so costly online that I saved a couple bucks by just buying them at BRU and not worrying about breakages in the mail.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsarefun View Post
The Dr. Brown nipples are the most identical to a breast flow. I top LLL told me this. They should fit on any bottle.
Yeah but the shape isn't great if you have a baby that tends to clamp clamp down in your breast. (Oh wait, I see that they have a wide base version now!)

Another one that I think would have worked well was the evenflow comfi nipple but I just couldn't find these locally. I never found a standard bottle nipple that my dd tolerated as well as the Avent slow flow nipples but my local selection was frustratingly limited.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.