Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I passed my 1-hour glucose test, no problems.

I didn't really mind the drink too much and it didn't make me sick or anything like that. I'd heard and read so many horror stories about the glucose test and for me it was really simple and didn't really effect my day.

Did anyone else get the glucose test? What were your results and did you have any side effects?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My test lasted 2 hours, with 3 samples... :serious: I hated the drink (yuk), and for the last hour I was soooo hungry! LOL But it wasn't as bad as for my previous pregnancies.
And the bonus: I got 2 hours of relaxing and reading a book without being interrupted by the kids (and DH).
And the results came out great (yay for my pancreas! :grin:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Last week I took the 1 hour test with no issues at all (other than being bored) - the results came back 15 mg/dL over the "normal" result.

Yesterday I took the 3 hour test and the solution they had me drink was much sweeter than the last one I had, I was able to go home to relax in between the blood work. About 2 hours into the test I noticed my cheeks were flushed, which is abnormal for me, and my ears were ringing. I felt like I was going to pass out. I put a cold, wet wash cloth on my forehead and my stomach; the sick feeling passed after about 30 minutes of a cold compress. After that I was fine! I ate like I haven't laid my eyes on food in over a month and napped.

Woke up feeling normal - waiting for results from that test today.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just an FYI for anyone who might be wanting to opt out of the glucose test - there are other options too.

With my first pregnancy I did simply opt out, with minimal anxiety over whether it was the right decision (my midwives basically told me it wasn't really an accurate test anyway...), but then when I was dumping a lot of sugar in my urine I ended up getting both a fasting blood glucose (no sugar drink first) and an H1c (shows long-term blood sugar control) from my endocrinologist. Both were normal and I was relieved as I am at high risk for developing diabetes due to multiple autoimmune disorders.

Second pregnancy I was again dumping sugar in my urine but felt like maybe this was just what my body did during pregnancy and nothing to worry about, so I wasn't. Until I had an appointment with a perinatologist who successfully scared me into thinking there was a remote chance that my baby, which appeared to be normal-sized for gestational age, could actually be suffering from both IUGR and *also* macrosomaly due to high blood sugar, which would effectively cancel each other out in terms of visible effect (size) but have other implications for the baby's health. I'm still not entirely sure this is possible or if she was trying to scare me, but her recommendation actually struck me as the most logical yet: simply check my own blood sugar at home, each morning when I woke up and after each meal (also keeping a food diary), for a week, to see how my body was handling normal, day-to-day food.

I was able to buy a glucose meter and test strips on Amazon for, as I recall, about $35, so paying out of pocket this also cost me less than one blood draw! It also showed that everything was perfectly fine. And I have used it again during this pregnancy to randomly check my blood sugar occasionally, and it has always been fine. I personally really like being able to just take things into my own hands and be reassured that all is well. Of course, if it seemed like there was something out of ordinary, I would seek assistance, but in my experience with medical professionals while pregnant, they have always wanted to scare me with unlikely scenarios and just caused me a lot of anxiety!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, I've heard that there can be false positives. In my case, the test was a part of the 2nd trimester blood tests that are made by routine in the public health service, here in Portugal. It´s standart procedure and, being pregnant, I didn't pay anything.
But I can understand why someone would want to opt out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just got off of the phone with my doctor -- it looks like we have "borderline" GD. He said only 2 numbers were a few points elevated but to air on the side of caution put me on a diet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I opted for the glucose test because I was getting the second set of blood tests anyway so figured if they're going to draw blood might as well get all the testing done. Plus, I have diabetes that runs in my family so I really just wanted the peace of mind. Thanks for the other options, @lilyofjudah , I didn't know about those things!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah, having to pay out of pocket made me think differently about some things. That and my midwife saying that if I normally ate a healthy diet, a positive test result wouldn't really change anything - but I know more now and in the end wasn't pleased with her care and advice overall. :-/

I just wish I had known I could have simply bought a glucose meter and done it myself the first time - less expense, more accurate, reassuring results (for me, at least). I was just under the impression that one needed a prescription to get one - nope.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the 1hr test, and it came back 6pts high. I felt pretty ill the rest of the day after that, but I am a breakfast person, and anytime you mess with my ability to eat breakfast, I am all out of whack.

I then had to do the 3hr test, which came back within range for all 4 blood draws (WHEW!)...for whatever reason, I didn't feel as ill after that one...not sure why.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had to take two 1-hour tests and the 3-hour. Me and the phlebotomist got tight. :) I'm overweight so my doctor ordered an early 1-hour test. It was on the higher end of normal so she had me do the 1-hour again. Which came back right at the cut-off (130). So off to do the 3-hour. All 4 of my draws in the 3-hour came back perfectly normal.

I usually try to limit my sugar and simple carb intake, so drinking 75g of glucose while fasting made me feel terrible. But I survived. Someone gave me the advice, and I'm passing it on, if you have to do the 3-hour test, bring a movie to watch or a book you're really into. My husband downloaded 3 episodes of a show I'm in the middle of for me and I watched all three of those on my tablet with headphones and knitted while I sat in the lab lobby.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live about 5 minutes away from the hospital that my physician is based out of so the phlebotomist let me go home in between blood work, had she not I probably would have passed out in the waiting room due to my body overheating at one point.

I would recommend to anyone to bring a damp wash cloth/paper towel in a zip lock bag just in case it happens to anyone else. It was one of the only things that helped me regulate my body temperature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts