Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any success with a gluten free diet and autism rather then Cassian and Gluten? I have a 16 month old showing symptoms of autism and I wanted to start on working on lowering her gluten intake, but at this time I was thinking of not eliminating Cassian and I was wondering if anyone had luck eliminating just Gluten. Also, I have read to wait at least three months to see if there is improvement, but as I will be slowly taking the gluten out, I will do it at least three months from when the gluten is completely removed, correct? Some reports I have seen say 6 months, anyone have creditable information on the time to wait?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,337 Posts
we stareted with feingold. when that helped we went cassein free. no real change to be honest. we took gluten out and he is like a different child. he is allowed some dairy but we do limit it. no gluten at all or he becomes violent.

· Premium Member
9,239 Posts
We did both but it didn't make a difference for us. I think gluten is hard for most people to digest so going gluten free makes sense to me. You might try enzymes--houston enzymes has an enzyme to help deal with gluten and casein. You might find that the enzyme along with gluten removal is equivalent to gfcf for you. Or you may find it doesn't make a difference. I'd do 6 months...some people do need that long to recover from gluten damage.

· Registered
528 Posts
We did GF for three months... saw a HUGE difference. The problem? He went to eating entirely products with casein in them. We removed casein and he was stuck eating potato chips, french fries, rice bread, and dry corn cereal. Not exactly healthy. We had to give up any hope for a special diet until we get this kid to eat something else or take a supplement!

· Premium Member
6,296 Posts
Removing casein was easier than removing gluten though we ended up doing both eventually. Casein is a bigger culprit for my child than gluten.

Here's a link that helped me. It tells you how to do it gradually because it can be overwhelming to do it all at once.
http://www.gfcfdiet.com/TheBigFAQ's.htm

I'd also do the diet for 6 months. It didn't take us that long to see the results but for some it takes that long for the opioid peptides to clear the body..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.