Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a good (free) online source for these? Our son is off wheat and dairy and we've gotten pretty used to that but now our baby daughter is allergic to 10 times the things he is including all gluten, dairy, goat milk, soy, corn, peanut, strawberries, tomatoes... a bunch of other stuff too - can't remember it all off the top of my head! Anyways she is just now really wanting to eat table food but I am at a loss as to what to give her. Oh I forgot she also is allergic to beef and pork. I didn't even know you could be allergic to meat? Anyways I need some good recipes. Also her 1st birthday is in January - any ideas for a good, safe cake for her?

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Well, I think I would go with simple foods on a big time rotation (maybe the same food no more often than every 7 days). By simple I mean I would maybe offer her some slices of a fruit or vegetable she isn't allergic too and some meat (assuming you are not vegetarian). So you might have 7 veggies to rotate and 7 fruits (or a combo of 7 things to offer in the fruit/veggie category) and 7 meats. Lamb isn't very allergic but then again I would not give it too often. Other meats for rotating I guess chicken, lamb, duck, turkey, ostrich, buffalo (I'm assuming not related to beef but maybe it is too close), and my mind is blank and it shouldn't be because my boys eat a variety! Avocado (unless she has latex or banana allergies) is a good finger food. I wouldn't combine foods into a recipe right now--mostly because if she does react you won't know what she is reacting too (the item or an ingredient). In fact, if trying a food she hasn't had before/you question the allergy potential you might want to offer the food, wait a day or two to look for reactions before going to the next. Just thinking because trying to track down what caused the problem makes a person
:. My reasoning on the rotation though is so that she is less likely to develop more allergies.
As far as birthday cake recipe without her complete list of allergens that would be hard to find. Honestly, with corn out (we have that too...it is an awful one) it is pretty hard to near impossible to bake gluten free (at least without nuts and eggs which like us you might want to avoid). Corn is in the xantham gum according to what I found. So unless she is tolerating small amounts of corn you may have to forget the idea of a traditional cake desert. Maybe a fruit desert would be nice?
If she can have egg you could do a custard. I haven't tried it but remember reading about baking a mix of egg and banana. I have made pumpkin, fruit, egg things though we are now avoiding egg too. Without egg though I think something just fruit would be may be your best bet.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Oh, and I can tell you a safe cake from memory. If she can't have chocolate, sub a little more flour.

3.5 cups safe flour (mixture or rice, tapioca, and arrowroot starch is best, mostly rice)
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum (cake will be crumbly, if you omit this, but you can if she has problems w/ these. Most corn allergic kids can have xanthan gum, btw, but not all. It's worth trialing.)
2tsp baking soda
1tsp salt
2 cups water
1/3 cup oil
2Tbs vinegar
2tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients and pour into ungreased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 until toothpick comes out clean.

If you want to remove the cake from the pan to decorate, then grease and flour the pan, and get the cake out as soon as possble after removig from the oven (I mean, let it cool down, but not completely.) This cake usually sticks to the pan, so if you can, leave it in the pan.

It's almost impossible to find corn and wheat free powdered sugar, but look around, you might find some. In teh spring, you can find Kosher ofr Passover powdered sugar which is JUST sugar, no wheat or corn starch added. So maybe no frosting, but you can spread a safe jam or something on the cake in place of icing.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
I didn't even know you could be allergic to meat?

I don't have any recipe unfortunately, but just wanted to say people do have allergy to meat, specially beef. In my family/friends there are tons of people who are allergic to beef (we don't eat pork due to religious reason) and weirdly enough those same people are allergic to shrimp and eggplant. So, I'm not sure if being allergic to beef means also being allergic to shrimp and eggplant!!
:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi, we have been suffering with all your sensitivities and more.
: My number one fav. are Living Without Magazine, Gluten Free Kids (cookbook) GLUTEN FREE Pantry (online) There are some really great things available now including pizza crust, cake/cookie mixes and stuff from Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free label. My kids have liked everything so far. I'm able to replicate many fav. comfort foods too, like mac and cheese and others. We make a brownie cake for b'days. There are many dairy free frostings available, at the reg. grocery store as well. We especially like the rice pasta from tinkiyada (sp?) I make a flour blend that I keep in a big tupperware in the pantry and it works just like reg. flour. We make pancakes, waffles, and more with yeast or sourdough to rise. One thing we've learned is how important it is to rotate. I assigned a different grain to every day, you'd be surprised how many are yummy and different yet good. Also, have hope, my 7yods is outgrowing much of the troublesome sensitivities of babyhood!!!!
My 5yodd is still in the thick of things though so we have to vigilant with her. We bring our own food everywhere we go so we can participate and have fun without the tummy ache. If you need recipes and such pm me.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Hey, that's weird. I use Mozilla and I can see a Bob's Red Mill ad at the bottom of this page. I kinda like it.

We use a ton of Bob's Red Mill flours. THey're pretty careful about cross contamination.

Mrs. Cheerful Face, what do you use as an egg replacer in boxed mixes? ALl of the boxed mixes I've bought call for eggs and they don't very often turn out as well as made from scratch stuff, and I assumed it was b/c of my egg sub. THe worst was when I tried to make Namaste's blondies b/c someone was raving about them on the allergy forum, and all I got was a greasy rock! Thanks!

eta, now it's a Jeep apparel ad. That's kinda stupid. Anyway....

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I have to make vegan cake/cupcakes I make something my family calls goofy cake. The key ingredient is vinegar!!
: I have two versions that are a sure hit and a third that is made in the microwave in minutes. I haven't had much luck with that powdered egg stuff/replacer
: So I work around it best I can. I use yeast in panckes and waffles and such. But what I was really excited about was vegan fudge. And its great!!! Also a fav. treat is rice krispie treats very vegan. Willowrun Margerine from Shedd. is a perfect replacer for butter in all my baking. So if you want to take a leap at the goofy cake let me know, choc. or yellow/choc. chip. Incidently, I found some vegan choc. chips/mini size and cheap at our coop too. For these dear children I have made each one a cooking binder to take with them some day. Actually more for their spouses.
Its full of favs. and tricky tips I've picked up along the way. Keep on going it does get easier

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Cheerful Face View Post
When I have to make vegan cake/cupcakes I make something my family calls goofy cake. The key ingredient is vinegar!!
: I have two versions that are a sure hit and a third that is made in the microwave in minutes.
Can you please share these? I don't have a microwave, but the other two versions sound wonderful. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts