Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to start this thread to see if anyone else has also gone gluten-free and how it improved your health. I wanted to say that I have been gluten-free for about 4-5 days and the changes in my health already are significant. The week prior to starting gluten-free, my lifelong depression was in full gear and I cried everyday. I metioned before I had gone through a tramautic summer and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I would wake up at 3 am and relive the pain. Mornings were bad. I needed coffee to even think about doing anything. My girls had to wait until mama had the energy to get their breakfasts ready. Sometimes that was awhile. Taking a shower was a drain. I was very moody and yelled a lot. I was miserable. So, does anyone expect 4-5 days on a gluten-free diet to change an obviously deeply depressed person? It seems highly unlikely, but I can tell you this much - it is changing my life, really and truly. I have not been diagnosed as having celiac but I don't think I need a diagnosis with results like these. A different person is emerging. I can't believe what a simple dietary change can do for a person.

I wake up with energy. I don't even need coffee. I still drink it, but half the amount and I get moving even before I have it. I wake up with no more coated tongue and stinky breath. I haven't woken up with a clean mouth in sooo long! That may sound odd, but I have struggled with the coated tongue issue for a long time and it got particularly bad if I had drunk beer the previous night. I feel my depression lifting, and this is the most exciting thing of all. I've been off and on meds for depression since I was 15, and I had begun to think nothing could help me, not prayer, not diet, not exercise, not self-help books, at at 35, time certainly did not seem to be healing me, in fact, I was getting worse. I feel light inside my body and my mind. The events of this summer have not been tormenting me. I sleep so much better and my night terrors disappeared pretty much the night after my first totally gluten-free day. I should also mention I am taking an adrenal fatigue formula with a lot of B vitamins and some herbs so that has probably been helping me feel better as well. I am cooking all the time, sometimes I feel really hyper followed by needing a nap, as if my body is trying to adjust to this and find a balance, but I will take feeling really energetic for hours followed by needing a nap over needing a nap all day! I am way calmer and comfortable in my own skin. My mind is sharper even though I experience intermittent periods of brain fog which I attribute to detox. I know I am in a period of detox because I sweat a lot and it does not smell good, but I don't put in anti-perspirant unless I am going somewhere. Otherwise I am just allowing those toxins to come out. God knows they need to come out! My dry skin is also improving.

A great thing to come out of this is, upon seeing the changes in me, my husband and my mother decided they too want to try going gluten-free. My husband said "no more beer" which is a miracle! There are gluten-free beers if he feels the need. My mother has dementia that is worsening all the time. She still knows who we are, but she is only 59 and I do not believe this cannot be reversed. I have read studies linking celiac disease to dementia, so she is on day 2 of gluten-free and I am so hopeful that she is going to really improve. She has had many signs of gluten intolerance but we never really got it until now. I will post about how she does after about a week. I just wanted to share this with you all, especially those of you who suffer from depression. Consider going gluten-free. It is not as hard as you think. This weekend, we are making pizzas from gluten-free crust mix. You can still drink wine, many spirits, gluten-free beer, still make bread, muffins and more, just with gluten-free flours. I would encourage anyone with psychiatric issues to try it out for 2 weeks and see if it changes your life. Thanks for reading this, and please share your story here!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
When I went gluten free (and dairy/soy free as well) with my kids this summer, my chronic back pain went away so I got off my pain meds and didn't have to ice it 4-5 times a day. And in the fall, I noticed that my night time anxiety had gone away as well. I still love to smell DH's pizza and treats, but I don't want to go back to the pain and anxiety, that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Hooray! I am so happy for you!
Gluten free has made huge differences in our house as well!
My psoriasis has cleared up to a manageable state. It was to the point of being huge cracks in every crevice that would bleed, burning maddening itchies all over and the same feeling all through my gut. I was really chemical sensitive from being so toxic. Everything would make me so sick. This didn't clear overnight but my system was obviously so toxicly overloaded from dealing with the gluten that it just couldn't handle any more of a load. I was even extremely sun sensitive at my worst point and would go lobster red from any sun exposure. There are so many things that are so much better! There aren't weeks on end of being so sick that I don't leave the couch. And this is just me! My kiddos have had really incredible results of thier own!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice to hear others have had great results too. I never thought of gluten as a toxin but it is for many people. I am beginning to think it's why I have always had horrendous PMS. The acid test will be with my next cycle. The sense of calm I am having in such a short time is so promising and my skin is so much better as well.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I found that avoiding gluten (and legumes and dairy) REALLY helps keep my fibromyalgia under control. When I goof up and have some gluten, I feel tired, achey, irritable, sore, etc. It takes a long time to heal from accidental exposure, and it only takes a tiny amount of exposure to cause reactions! I even react if I touch wet gluten (dishpan full of dishes with breadcrumbs on them, cleaning out a bowl of pasta) and I have any kind of cut on my fingers!

I've felt pretty lousy for the past month or so, and I suspect I've been exposed to gluten somehow.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I'm really impressed by these testimonies, especially yours, freespirited. I'm so glad you're doing better in so many ways.

When I gave up wheat (and dairy, eggs, nuts), nothing remarkable happened, except that I lost weight that I did not need - or want - to lose. I had read stories like yours, and I was kind of hoping that I would have something good come of elimination, but...nothing.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Gluten does that to me too. I've been gluten-free since September 2007, but not entirely gluten-free. I do really well for 3 or 4 months and then feel so great that I think I can have gluten again, resulting in a huge gluten binge and all the associated repercussions (depression, anger, fogginess, rash, flare up of my osteoarthritis, etc.) Not pretty. You'd think that after going through this 6 or 7 times I'd actually learn, but here I am, again, at the end of 10 days of gluten-binging. And I feel like crap.

Glad you posted this. I need to get off the gluten.... again.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am glad my story inspired some of you!

I just wanted to add something I thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts - my sinuses! I always have a stuffy nose to some degree, especially in winter, but for the first time I can remember, my nose is completely free and clear. That is a great feeling! I wonder how many sinus issues that people think are environmental allergies or dairy are actually cause by gluten! I just cannot believe this, I only wish I had known sooner what gluten was doing to me. It would have saved me a lot of pain in life. Better late than never, though.
:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I recently went gluten free, after having bad acne, migraines, and a huge belly for a long time. I felt like my skin was getting better but right now it's really bad. My migraines are better, but there's no change in my belly. I also gave up sugar, and I'm trying to add probiotics and coconut oil to my diet so I'm wondering if I'm also having some die-off/detox, or if something else is wrong..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.