Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When oats are GF, are they just processed on GF equipment or do oats have gluten in them and they found a way to take it out? I tested + to oats on my blood test, but I am almost postive they used regular oats and that I was reacting to the gluten. I would love to have a bowl of oatmeal

Thanks,
Jen

·
Registered
236 Posts
there are a few companies now making GF oats- here is one:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/i...product_ID=680

my understanding is that wheat and oats are grown in the same field and processed in the same manner- the problem being cross contamination. so theoretically, GF oats would be okay for someone sensitive to gluten.
that said, everyone is an individual. my son can't have gluten and GF oats don't work for him either- so its obviously not the gluten in oats but the oats themselves that cause a problem for him.

jen

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have some gluten free oats from a company called Gifts of Nature, Inc. The packaging says they are produced by growers who understand gluten free, are raised on clean, dedicated ground, are harvested and transported in dedicated equipment, are ELISA tested for purity by grower lot and batch, and are processed in gluten/wheat free facility. They did not seem to bother my DD, but she didn't care for the oatmeal. They were rather expensive, which is the biggest downside!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The gluten free oats are very expensive

My daughter is gluten allergic (specifically Rye and Wheat) and she was a huge oatmeal fan.

We've done creamy buckwheat. She LOVES it. The texture and taste of oatmeal, and no gluten.

As the previous poster stated.... the oats themselves don't contain gluten, but it's very hard to find dedicated plants and fields that are just oats.

My daughter just tested negative to wheat this time, so the allergist recommended introducing wheat, but with her reaction to Rye at a +5, we can't take the chance... because there are NO GRAINS that aren't contaminated with another, unless you can find the dedicated fields, combines and plants and then the cost is very high.

·
Registered
196 Posts
A lot of people with celiac disease do well with McCann's brand of oatmeal. A huge part of the problem with oats is where they are processed, stored, and transported--all wheat facilities--and oats and wheat are hard to separate because of the size of the grains being so similar. McCann's doesn't guarantee the GF, but I was satisfied with how they transport, store, and process and my daughter that is super sensitive to gluten has never reacted.

I read somewhere that oats has half of the gliadin molecule (which is what celiacs react to)--so some people can tolerate while others can't. I haven't researched to verify that, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. I am not sure I will be trying some anytime soon if they could have glianden or be contaminated. The consequences are not worth it to me. Oh well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
I thought buckwheat has gluten in it. Am I misinformed?
Buckwheat is technically a seed and GF as far as I know.

Jen

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
I thought buckwheat has gluten in it. Am I misinformed?

Every brand I've seen is certified gluten free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.