Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Not sure if this is where I should post - please move, if necessary.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ds (7) has Sensory Processing Disorder and ADHD.  I also suspect Asperger's or PDD-NOS, but those have not been dx'd.  Mostly for him, our family decided to try going g-f, to see if it affected some changes in his behavior.  I've heard that it can take several months to really know whether there are benefits.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ds has always suffered from some amount of constipation, although it got a little better when I started giving him magnesium.  Since going g-f, though, he seems to be even more constipated again. He eats a lot of fruits and veggies, as well as g-f whole grains.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is constipation a normal initial reaction to a diet change or g-f diet, or is this an early sign that gluten is likely not his problem?  I don't want to give up on the g-f early, if it would be beneficial longterm, but I don't want to put him through it if this is a sign of something.</p>

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think it is too soon to know. We decided to give our daughter's gf trial 3 months. We knew within a few weeks we were on the right track.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Someone asked me if the effects could be gradual, such that we could see some changes earlier.  Our plan is to do 6 months, so far it's only been one.  I haven't seen any behavioral changes, but we can keep at it if the constipation isn't a signal that things aren't working.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts